Would like your expert advice....

J. Parker

I've got a S&W mod 657 with a 6" barrel. I'm thinking of having it cut down to 4". It's not a hunting gun but a camping/hiking piece. Should I bother with it or keep it at 6"? How about 5"? What are your thoughts?

I am not an expert but I do give advice.Leave it alone.The 1 to 2 inches you are talking about will make no real dif in a camping gun.If it would be for concealed carry it would be totaly different.

Greetings, I too would advise against it; keep it original.
Then if you desire a camping/hiking gun, look at the S&W's
that Lew Horton has created.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Leave it alone! Since this is a woods bumming gun, not a CCW piece, length doesn't make much difference.

If the barrel length is uncomfortable, try an new holster or three, a good cross draw would probably help if the barrel lenght is causing carry or seating problems.

Doc Hudson

P.S. Cutting the barrel and refinishing it would run you a hundred bucks or more. Save your money. Either keep it as is or trade it for one that fits you better. LMH

If you cut it, go to 3" IMHO.
Then at least you will find more uses for it.
My new 3" makes me wonder why have 4"; 5-6" make sense;
I think the 3" and 5" are about the best combos.
very subjective.

You might consider a new barrel, which would look better and you could keep the original to switch back. Gun Parts Corp. has the 3" and 4" for $99 and $134 respectively. I don't know if the front ramp sight is included.

Jim

i'm with g33, 3" and 5" guns seem to balance best for me. you might want to follow jim keeenan's advice and just buy another barrel and keep the original in case you want to change back.

my 57 had the 6" barrel and i always felt it was too long. my 58 has the original 4" and balances better, i'd bobb it back flush with the ejector rod but...

9mmepiphany

"i'd bobb it back flush with the ejector rod but...

Already have one that way. Unfired! I'm afraid too!

Robert

pc657_med.jpg

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've got an old S&W mod 28 that needs a little work so I'm going to have a smithy work on it and chop 2" off my mod 657. I've got a Galco two-way holster (crossdraw&hip) and it's pretty difficult to draw a 6" gun from the hip. Thanks Again, J. Parker

Back