Would like to get my first cowboy gun

Keepin_Jeepin

I would like to get into an old school big bullet cowboy gun. I am most interested in a .45-70. On a budget for this one though. Dont want cheap crap though!!

What would you guys recommend?

Big Bore CAS Rifle

Best choice is a Marlin Cowboy 45-70 0r if you can find it a Cowboy 336 in 38-55. Neither of these are crappy, nor are they cheap. You won't find a cheap/not crappy rifle out there. MHO ( I have the 38-55, love it)
BarnOwl12

Thats why I came here, I have never even heard of that round.

I was really hoping to spend under 1000 dollars. More around 800 would be idea. Is that even possible?

Not sure of your total budget. I saw a real deal. Model 1874 Springfield trap door at a local gun store with a price tag of $900 plus sales tax. It was in decent shape. ( Awesome shape if you factor in it was made in the 1880's.) Shootable with black powder loads. I would have picked it up. Though I have one that I inherited. It gets fired every once in a blue moon.

For nostalgia, and not competing a Marlin 1895 will set you back for between $550 and $750 depending on set up, and where you buy it.

I have one myself.

Marlinguidegun001.jpg

Unless you are specifically looking for a leaver gun you can probably find a nice used Sharps reproduction for under $1000. Stick to the 1874 model though if you do unless you can find a used 1875 C. Sharps. I have seen them for under a grand before. The 1875 doesn't have the old west appeal of the 1874 but they sure shoot great.

I have a Marlin in .38-55. They are really accurate and were in the late 1800s considered a top round for Deer or Black Bear. Mine shoots as well, at 100 yards, as any bolt hunting gun I've ever fired.

Just curious, as with someone who was asking about a .44 mag "on a budget", do you reload? .45-70 and .38-55 factory ammo is about $1/round on the cheap end if you're on a budget and actually want to shoot it. If not, you might want to consider a lever in .357 that takes .38s since the factory stuff will be more affordable for "fun".

Of course if ammo costs are no issue or you reload, 45-70 is fun :D

If you are in Chelan WA, I have a couple of good leads for you.
In Tacoma I saw a used 44 mag cowboy 450.00 Action is the smoothest I have ever seen in any marlin.
Also saw a slightly used 357 Cowboy for 559.00

If your interested PM my for the details

Back