Would like some advice, saving up for a new bolt action.

Mrm423

Inactive
Hi all, new here, and would like some advice if any one has a few.
I'm hoping to save up and buy a new bolt action, preferably in 308

SO far the 2 I've held and liked the feel of so far were the remington 700, and weatherby vanguard.

The other I was hoping to try out was the FN SPR.
Would anyone maybe have some advice on the downside/upside of each?
Thanks guys!

Either the Weatherby or the Remington should serve you just fine. The most important thing is to get a rifle that fits you well and is comfortable to bring to your shoulder. Proper fit will make it easier for you to take advantage of the rifle's accuracy, and either of those options (and most others in that price range, for that matter) should be plenty accurate out of the box.

As far as downside/upside, most modern bolt actions are going to perform similarly for accuracy. It comes down to personal preferences from there. Do you like wood or plastic stocks? Heavy or light? Blue or Stainless? Any of these things can be seen as up or down sides depending on personal preference. I say that if you find one that you like at a price you can afford, that is the one for you. Barring a few cheap production exceptions, you really can't go wrong with any of the major manufacturers.

Last edited:
While the 700's are great rifles, I think the Vanguard is a much better option for somebody on a budget. I've never seen one that didn't shoot great. I'm not particularly fond of their stocks, but if you do buy one and later find that you want to upgrade the stock that is very easy to change with an aftermarket stock.

rifle choice

Like others have mentioned, fit is important. Handle the rifle, (empty, of course), close your eyes and shoulder the gun. Notice where your line of sight is. Proper fit will be either apparent or not.
Similar to mounting a shotgun, but naturally, not nearly as critical.

For my build, Remingtons fit me quite well and have never failed me.

Some gun shops still have "last year's" Vanguards in inventory at bargain basement prices. The Howa action-based Weatherby rifle is known for its good accuracy but is on the heavier side when compared to its competition.

First decide what you will use it for. The FN is a heavy target gun. I have one it is good for shooting off a bench, but a poor choice for carrying around in steep mountains.

Remington 700's come in may configurations from heavy target rifles http://www.remington.com/products/f...el-700/model-700-xcr-tactical-long-range.aspx to light weight mountain rifles http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-mountain-lss.aspx

The Vanguard has fewer options, but is primarily a general purpose hunting rifle. Each brand has it's good and bad points.

Your budget is an important consideration. If cost is not an option I'd recommend Kimber or Winchester as my 1st 2 options. Kimber if you want the lightest hunting rifle under $3000, (Kimbers sell for around $1,100). Winchester if you want the best standard size/weight hunting rifle. Around $800 or so.

On a budget the Vanguards are selling for around $350 and are a lot of gun for the money, albeit a lot heavier than I want in a hunting rifle.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard, it is a little on the heavy side but that weight is in the barrel, it's accurate and smooth, handles well in the field.:)

There is a huge market out there. If you already have looked around a lot, then excuse this post. You certainly have made reasonable choices. I would not, however, discount Weatherby, Ruger, Winchester or Browning, among others. Consider both fit and trigger pull. The trigger usually can be fixed it not ideal, but there are some real choices in adjustable triggers now that were not there just a few years ago.
How hard are you going to use it? Are you realistically going to give it the care a blued, wooden stock rifle needs, or should you look at all stainless and plastic?
.308 is certainly a good all around cartridge available in many loadings. What are you going to use it for?

I would like to think I'd give a blued and Woodstock rifle the care she deserves.
as for my choice of cartridge, I figured the 308 would be fine for deer, antelope, medium sized elk and also be reasonably easy to find on road trips, and cheap enough to plink with on occassion.
I already own a 30.06 marlin xl7 that I just can't get used to, may sound like an excuse but just doesn't feel like it should on my shoulder anymore. I can hit a target with it but its more of a paper plate group versus the end of a soda can I would prefer at 150yds. Hence the search and saving.
thank you all for the comments and advice. It is very much appreciated!

I did forget to address the issue of how hard I was going to use it. Well I might be a liar if I said lightly, but the rifle I choose would have endure being set in a cruiser style rack in my truck, and the unfortunate misuse via a girlfriend who isn't as gentle as I'd like with my other fire arms (she's left my blued witness in a wet backpack for more than a few days and more than a couple times) and also endure target shooting trips of an hour to several.

she's left my blued witness in a wet backpack for more than a few days and more than a couple times

Ouch. If you think this kind of treatment may be ongoing, I would recommend stainless and plastic. Stainless barrels are NOT immune to rust, but they will hold out a bit longer.

Both are good rifles. The Howa/Weatherby is probably better out of the box but if you plan on any sort of upgrades and custom parts, peices, add ons, stocks replacements etc, the shear amount of choices available to a 700 platform make it a no brainer.

Yeah, the girlfriend took it on a trip, I DID teach her to dry it off and atleast oil the important bits, but she doesn't seem to understand that bluing only keeps rust away if it it's maintained decently.

Anyway, she wont take the rifle backpacking, I let her use the witness as a kind of safety blanket, better to not need it and not have it, than need it and not have it sort of thing. She may take it out shooting with out me however so that's worth considering I suppose.

I am leaning towards the 700 because of the number of options I could do down the road, and it seems very hard to find a fn spr in helena, mt so I can't even see how it feels or handles, however if a vanguard or vanguard 2 goes on sale while I am looking I may jump on that sale.

Sorry if I can't spell or have poor grammar, been a long day and i'm using my phone.

Don't over look savage Hog Hunter or Police set up, Savage "tends" to be most accurate out of the box ( I know fighting words):D, they put out some fine rifles with excellent triggers many options available.

You didnt say how many guns you own. Id say wait till you can afford the one you really want. One that 'almost works' or 'will do for now' might not be the one for you. Buy once, cry once. Buy twice cry trice...

Back