Would a Thompson be a good combat submachine gun for today?

Doug.38PR

Would the Thompson submachine gun be a good combat submachine gun for today? This gun was used from the 1921s by LEOs, civilians and even bad guys and WW2, Korea and Vietnam and even a little into the 1970s by Law Enforcement.

With it's .45 ACP round, it would be superior to the Uzzie's 9mm

With the introduction of small carbines firing full power rifle rounds (i.e. the M4), the role of the submachinegun is not as prominent as it once was. The m4 is as light and almost as or more so compact not sure) then a thompson (although probably not the H&K) and delivers a more potent cartridge that is effective against body armor. I think we mostly see law enforcement going to carbines and such for this reason. I think the submachinegun is still useful in some roles, but the auto carbine has all but supplanted it.

The Thompson was a 1st generation SMG: heavy, precision machined, and somewhat complex. It would be expensive to make and, of course, heavy compared to modern designs. It would work, certainly, but a .45 UMP would be as effective and more efficient.

As for .45 versus 9mm, let's not open that can of worms. ;)

Fun guns, but too heavy, too complex and too expensive for today's world. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I can see it being quite effective for home defense in SHTF situations. :D

But they are indeed fun to shoot...

Art

.45ACP vs my beloved 9mm the .45 has the biggest advantage here Especially in close combat excellent knock down power the 9mm has good range and penetration but if given Hollow points over Ball ammo it woul have decent knock down w/ good penetration

very fun (especially if you put in the 1921 group) gun extremely reliable complex not really IMO action is solid as is the gun as I said before it is the king of the sub MGs not many I know can run through 2500rds in full auto with out stopping until it ran out of ammo. And not malfunction In other configurations like maybe taking the stack off it might be more versitile and mobile but it is heavy and there are many other lighter ones out there. Out dated maybe but definitely not out classed:cool:

From a strictly military point of view, the Thompson would be outclassed by other weapons in current use.

For a LE application, the market is better served by the likes of the MP5.

Just for grins and giggles and dusting a hillside, the Thompson is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. It gets expensive in a hurry, though.

I'd like to shoot it, but hate to carry it. Most models are in the 11-13lb range. Auto Ordinance/Kahr has some with aluminum receivers that are around 8 naked. Not bad, but not light either.

A 5.5lb 30 Carbine with 30 round sticks for me.

DOUG.38PR, why all these posts on old firearms? So far you have posted the same question but simply changed the gun. M1 Garand, BAR, and now Thompson.

Many of the responses for one apply to all.

Comming next... Would the Sherman Tank be a good combat tank for today?

followed by:

Would the Quad 40 serve well for fleet missile defense?

Culminating in:

Would the P51D serve well for air superiority today?

Isnt the Thompson heavier than an M1 Garand?:confused:
IIR, doesnt a Thompson wiegh in around 11 pounds?

Kind of defeats the purpose of a handy little rifle. Far better options in todays market. Would it still be effective? Sure, the round would still kill someone just as dead as back in WW1 or 2; no doubt about the weapons lethality. But there are far better options available in the subgun or carbine class just as lethal and a whole lot handier.

Musketeer to answer your questions
Sherman now way no how simply outclassed by the Chieftan, Abram and the Leopard could it serve in other ways yes as a target
Quad 40mm nope the modern vulcan systems in use to day use what as refered to as a wall of steel assisted by a computer system intigrated with the radar and they fire at a much faster rate
P51D..............oh you were only joking :D sorry couldn't resist

DOUG.38PR, why all these posts on old firearms? So far you have posted the same question but simply changed the gun. M1 Garand, BAR, and now Thompson.

Might as well ask if the 1911 would be a good combat handgun for today ... :p

on a side note the Marines at Guadal (spelling) Canal that had the M1A1 Thompsons were far and few between and very seldom if every revealed how they aquired them

Musketeer, maybe he just likes discussing old firearms in a modern context. Maybe we do to (he's certainly had no shortage of replies). Either way, who are you to rain on his parade? If you don't like what's on, change the channel.

Besides, sooner or later, he's bound to hit upon a firearm that's still worthy of being carried (1911 maybe?).

How about this for a thread-Would a modern M4A3 be a good combat rifle for today? (especially in comparison to other rifles & calibers?)

I think it's always nice to reminesce, but we need to avoid projecting our misconceptions onto others. Perhaps it's a search for historical context? Perhaps trying to gain insight from older, more experienced shooters? Maybe he has idealized all those old guns as being the best because they were used in the last really big war?

All of them (including the guns I love and idealize) were great in their day. Newer weapons have supplanted them. Would you go out against a troop of Mexican soldiers armed with a Walker revolver? Not likely, but 150 years the Texas Rangers did. Would you go to war with a Garand? No, but many of our fathers did. Would you . . . you get the idea. But sometimes it's fun to ask.

Think up something different to ask about, like is an AK better than an AR.;)

The UMP would be more practical, but I think the tommy would be a great firearm for our troops nowadays. Fired one a while back....yeah, heavy, but it was plenty accurate, recoil was nonexistant (muzzle rise excepted), and all that fun jazz. Granted, drums still have the same reloading problems, so it'd probably stick with sticks, but think about it---if we were to go for the WWII version instead of the intricately complicated closed-bolt-firing weapon as it was designed, but with use of modern metals, machinings, and plastics for grips (maybe use the navy-issue folding stock?), and you've got the makings of a good weapon. Better SMG purpose than an FA M4--becuase why? Because it is.

I've seen pics of our troops raiding houses with antiquated soviet PPSh SMGs, because they didn't think that the M4 was adequate for the job. That seems to me to say that "WE NEED AN SMG NOWADAYS".....and if we were to apply modern methods into a tested & honed design, whose to say it wouldn't be a good firearm, either for noncom personnel or, say, close-quarters combat, etc? Because no matter how you look at the issue, the M4 using FA is NOT the thing that fills the hole SMGs left in our military.

.45ACP vs my beloved 9mm the .45 has the biggest advantage here
Maybe with placed shots in semi, but in FA, shooting bursts, caliber really isnt much of an issue.

...not many I know can run through 2500rds in full auto with out stopping until it ran out of ammo.
My MP5 has run through multiple tens of thousands of rounds with only a rare stoppage.(truthfully, I can only remember two in 20+ years) In all that time, only one part broke, the roller retainer, and the gun was still functioning fine with the part broken.

The Thompson is a fun gun to shoot, especially with the fast bolt, but if I had to pick one to actually use, it would most certainly be one of the 9mm guns with the MP5 in the lead, the Sterling second and the M45 third.

This is the one of the three threads that I'll have to say no. I think the Thompson is too heavy for its purpose. Would I take an M1 Garand or BAR into combat, sure. But not a Thompson. I would much rather have an MP5 or UMP.

nothing against your MP5 because I happen to want one myself but could you take yours and run it through 2500rds non-stop in one sitting in full-auto taking time out only to reload and fire until all 2500rds were gone? ANd not worry about the barrel or any of the other parts?

Of all the years my dad has had his since 1978. (not bragging just saying) he has never ever had any malfunction that I can recall I will ask him tonight and verify

For yours to fire that many rounds and not malfunction is excellent is yours a early one or newer. and if older would you say that it is better or worse to the newer MP5s

Maybe with placed shots in semi, but in FA, shooting bursts, caliber really isnt much of an issue.
in urban combat I believe it is a issue IMO having 9mm is all right but the .45 shines extremely well in situations such as house & room clearing due tio the range but if given the choice between the two for such duties I would take the .45 over the 9mm again all this is all IMO (all this said respectfully)

Back