Worth of a Ruger Mini-14? Enough to get a Winchester 70?

cornered rat

I am thinking of letting go of my blued Mini 14 Ranch (with a ird-cage flash hider). I don't have the serial number with me, unfortunately. I have 6 or 8 20rd metal magazines (3 of them Rugers) and 2 30rd mags that all feed reliably (and two 20rd rejects). Have a 4x32 Simmons scope installed. I am wondering how much it would bring (given the lack of info, a range of, say $400-500 or $1500-1700 or $3-5 would be enough).

I am considering replacing it with Winchester model 70 in .223 (since I have ammo for it). Can't find the caliber on their web site, but maybe they still make it. Other contender is Savage, but I am confused as to which models have what features (controlled feed, magazines, would be nice). Iron sights are a must.

Suggestions?

Keep your mini. Once Schumer and Co. ban the manufacture of rifles that accept detachable box magazines you will wish you hadn't sold it.

And the way it stands right now that is what may happen. That way the supply will be fixed.

Then down the road you will have to pay a tax to keep your "pre 94 ban" and "post 94 ban" "semiautomatic assault rifles" which we all know is a misnomer anyhow because none of the semi-auto rifles we are "allowed" to own have a selector switch for full auto fire like a real assault rifle.

Think that is proposterous, just ask any old timer who may have owned, or whose father may have owned a Colt manufactured BAR, a Thompson, or heaven forbid a shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches. Now to own any of those weapons you have to pay more taxes than Bill Clinton does every year to keep it.

So keep the mini and save up for the .223 bolt gun. There should be decent used Remington 722s out there that still shoot well. Consider it a challenge and find a good bargain, be patient you'll get the bolt gun

(Until they put taxes and licenses and other miscellaneous B.S. infringements on our rights)

my $.02

I may well keep the Mini and take the scope off it. It was meant for under 25m combat uses anyway...just as the M1 carbine users, I keep forgetting that.

At this point, I am looking at getting a used Winchester 70 OR a Browning A-bolt II Hunter. Browning looks better "on paper"...has onyone used both and would have an opinion as to which would be more reliable?

Also, could somebody help to clear up confusion over which model 70 .223 rifles have controlled feed and which do not?

Any of the legendary "pre-64" (as in 1964) Model 70s will have the Mauser controlled feed.

US Repeating Arms brought controlled feed back on selected "Classic" models several years ago, IIRC.

BTW, I don't recall hearing horror stories of gunsmiths getting regular business from broken non-Mauser Model 70 extractors like they reportedly do with Rem Mod 700s. Why is that so? Do the Mod 70s break less frequently?

Cornered Rat, I have an Armalite AR. I use military mags as well as Bushmaster mags with no problem. A friend of mine just bought 6 Bushmaster AR's and they still had high capacity mags available. I use mostly 20 rounders because they are about right for use as a palm rest for high powewr competition.

Joefo

Back