Worlds Largest Stainless Steel Turkey......(yes, stainless steel)

Rembrandt

Driving thru Ames, Iowa today and saw this incredible piece of art work.....a stainless steel turkey sitting in front of the Iowa Turkey Federation building. Snapped a few pictures for you to see. There is also a web site link for the artist Larry Pearson, showing how it was made. Enjoy.....

http://www.pearsonmetalart.com/Turkey.html

009-3.jpg

006-1.jpg

003-3.jpg

010-1.jpg

007-2.jpg

001-3.jpg

NICE!
I bet that took a whole Sunday afternoon!;)

If he charge minimum wage for his labor and no material cost I still couldn't afford it!!

Thanks for sharing!

Impressive worksmanship.

My father was an expert metal worker, I know how long it takes to craft items like that.

Very nice.

Thanks for posting Rembrandt

I get to Iowa often and was just in Boone about 3wks. ago. You can bet if I get close to Ames I'll swing by and check this artwork out.

Thanks again.

Beautiful art, thanks for sharing.
Now, did I misread the date on the plaque? Looks to me like 5/30/12. I don't think that has happened yet.:confused:
dean

finally

I've said for a long time that the "space shot", tungsten alloy, hevi shot etc turkey loads were a waste of money and not necessary.

I see now what they are good for......armored gobblers.

The Griswalds would like to stop and see that on their way out to Wally World.... :D

SOOOOO...What load for a giant Stainless Steel turkey??!!

The "over kill" loads they sell now for regular turkeys would probably work fine!! :D

Last edited:
FrankenMauser said:
I hope they have some good theft-abatement measures in place.

Thieves don't see a turkey.
They see dollar signs. $$$$:eek:$$$$

Looks to me like it's welded to a metal plate which is set into the concrete base...

I doubt you'd find a thief that could pick it up anyway. :D

As far as the date, that's probably the date of some ceremony at that place where it will be "officially" donated/presented to the organization. I've seen similar dates that don't correspond with the current date for those reasons.

Here in Racine, Wisconsin we have the "metal guys" driving old beater trucks around good neighborhoods looking for anything they can sell. (I've had my wrought iron lawn furniture taken the middle of a Sunday afternoon. I've also had a metal star decoration taken off the house.)

If that was parked somewhere in Racine you'd see an "army" of "metal guys" surrounding it with their 20-30 year old trucks and drooling!! :D

Back