World Record "Pepsi Challenge" Airgun Shot: 615 Yard Hit On 12oz Can

It's a .257, so no it's not legal for deer in any state I know of. Though .40caliber and up is legal for deer, and other big game in several states.

I'm interested in the weight and BC of his projectile, and what velocity he was able to launch it at.

He was using a self-cast 84 grain Ideal Spitzer at a whopping 1080fps.

Not legal for big game here in Oregon (yet). I hunt coyotes, and furbearers (Bobcat, Fox, etc) with mine.

States legal to hunt big game with airguns (some .30cal minimum, others .40cal minimum).....Arizona (everything but Elk and Bison), Arkansas, Alabama, Missouri, and also Virginia I believe......could be more states I am forgetting.

You can hunt most small game/upland birds in Cali with an airgun.

Last edited:
He was using a self-cast 84 grain Ideal Spitzer at a whopping 1080fps.
Not bad!
Subsonic rounds can certainly make it past 600 meters especially with a nice streamlined high BC bullet.

What's the drop at 615yds?
This is a rough estimate with a ballistics calculator.
I calculated the BC of a 84 grain .257cal spitzer, to have a G1 BC of .299 (that's better than a typical 123 grain spitzer used in the 7.62x39)
@ 620 yards the calculator is showing around 750'' of drop from the barrel. Almost 60'' of wind drift in a 10mph 90 degree crosswind, and roughly 786fps 115ft-lbs energy left. Couldn't get the data for 615 yards, as the calculator can only use 20 yard increments (or bigger), after 500 yards.

62.5 ft of "projectile" drop, & 5 ft of windage adjustment ( at the data posted above )

pretty impressive... shooting into the valley looks like that helps with the drop... on the pic of the rifle, it actually looks like the scope is angled down... don't know if that's an optical illusion or ???

I'd like to know more about the scope...

I will dig-up some posts of his about his scope set-up.......it took some doing for sure.

It also helped to make the shot, that he has a history of competitive shooting in a few shooting sports.......1000yard Black Powder "Buffalo Shoots" being one of them.

Back