Working on AutoOrdnance 1911

aearley1911

Inactive
From reading some of the posts on this site, I realize that the AutoOrdnance 1911 that I own is definately not the brand of choice for 1911 owners. However, is there any advice anyone can give me as to what I can do to improve the accuracy and reliability of this pistol. Since the pistol is not worth a lot of money, I might use this as an opportunity to learn some basic gunsmithing skills. I have already added an adjustable trigger(which was an improvement over the original drastically), and polished the feed ramp and replaced the magazine(which definately improved the feeding). I can now feed ball ammo reliably. I would never consider using this as a carry gun(Ruger SP101 357mag should work) but would like to improve the pistol. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Get Kuhnhausen's book ( The Colt 45 Automatic- A Shop Manual). Read, read, read......and read some more. Take your gun apart with the book handy. Examine every single part while you have the book in your other hand. Do you get the idea that I'm high on this book? :) You will learn more about your gun this way than you ever will without apprenticing to a master smith. Then you can decide just what steps to take with your gun.
No, the Auto Ordnance is not the gun that I would choose, but in all honesty, they can be turned into a pretty good piece if you are willing to hang with it. Have fun & good luck.

Where can I find this book? I have already disassembled/assembled the piece numerous times to try to familiarize myself with the internal workings. The only reason I have the Auto Ordnance is I was able to trade for it and in actuality only have about $100 real money in the firearm, so i have some room to add improvements but I don't want to spin my wheels with it. Thanks for your reply.

Back