Workable m1 carbine remake?

coyotewsm

My mother's boyfriend has an m1 carbine that he says they got off the shelf from Kmart 10 or 15 years ago. I've shot it and love the way it shoots. I would like to have one for home defense. Does anyone know if such a thing is available or if the price would even be worth it? I've seen originals on gunbroker and such and they go anywhere from $1000 up to $6000.

It is a very decent choice and I have used one as such for several years. I am streamling in getting out of .380 and .30 Carbine however.

I have an Iver Johnson M1 that is a remake. Polymer stock, matte stainless on the metal. I am literally listing it for sale next week at $600 including ammo and mags that are worth about $250. Send me a PM if you are interested.

They have a bad rep but I have a Universal my dad bought in 69 and it has had no issues other than having to polish the feed ramp to get it to chamber soft points. It may break tomorrow but if it does it was well worth the 99.00 he gave for it.

Well, I haven't heard much positive talk about them, but Chiappa has a 9mm version.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/08/11/taofledermaus-reviews-the-chiappa-m1-9-carbine/

I have one of the 22lr copies. It is REALLY crude. I got it on clearance from Buds for under $200 in my hands, so I can't complain too much. It would probably be the last firearm I would turn to if I needed one for defense. I have a brick made by prisoners at an Ohio prison 80+ years ago and so stamped. I would almost certainly grab it off the book shelf before grabbing the Chiappa 22lr.

What's your budget? Current commercial carbines run roughly $800 by the time you're done. All of 'em have some kind of QC issue too.
If you can find a Plainfield in decent condition, buy it. Real milsurps run about $1200ish on Gunbroker. Just don't buy into the whole "correct" nonsense. Somebody made it that way and none of the original makers made all 60 some parts. Late model(toggle for the bolt hold open, two return springs and a poorly made stamped op handle) Universals are junk.
Then think Speer 110 grain HP's with IMR4227.

Back