Woods Carry/ Ammo choice

223nut

I'm trying to decided on my sidearm for my woods carry out here in MT. I have carried a 10mm, 40s&w and 44s in the past. I picked up a FNS 40 not long ago and stumbled across DoubleTap 200gr HC in 40s&w that's loaded to 1000fps. What's everyone's thoughts on this load for up to blackbears?

Black bears aren't as heavily built as people think. That load will do fine, assuming you can achieve good shot placement. I carry the buffalo bore 180 grain hard cast .357. Been thinking about switching to a stout 158 JSP - still good penetration with some expansion.

I'd also carry bear spray. Gives you another option.

I'm a fan of Buffalo Bore. I shoot theire 255g hardcast at 1075 fps out of my 45 Super. Not sure what they have for 10mm

I'm shooting DT 200gr HC with my 10mm but the G20 is a large handgun. I like the size of the FNS over the G20

When I worked in CO in 2010, I did quite a bit of back country(ish) hiking. My choice was a Ruger SBH 4 5/8" loaded with 200 grain Nosler HP. Figured the average black bear was under 200# as was cougar or meth cooker.

Any of the calibers you list will dispatch a black bear. the same is true for any two legged wolves. Use the one you are most accustomed to shooting and can carry in a manner that you can get to quickly. Bears don't usually sneak up on you but the big cats can.

I've been carrying a G20 with the same bullet @ 1300 fps for quite some time when hiking/camping in black bear country. I Chose it over my 3" Smith 629 in 44 mag both times we camped in Yellowstone and slept as well as I would have with the 44 mag. Which wasn't great BTW.

A few years ago I decided I wanted something more compact for hiking and picked up a used G23 and carried the same load you're looking at. I think that 90+% of the time it probably would work as well as anything else.

I did eventually trade the G23 for a G29 to be able to use the hotter 10mm ammo. The G29 is virtually the same length and height as the G23, just a bit thicker and I really like it.

I like the Glock design, but concede that with 9mm, 40, and 45 ACP there are other options probably just as good, maybe better. I like the FN guns quite a bit as well. But having the 10mm option has made me a Glock customer. My 10mm pistols are probably carried and shot the least. But the ones I'd sell last. When I need the power, there is nothing else with that much in a package that small. And the transition from my G19 to the G29 is very easy. The G19 or G43 are the ones I carry when not in bear country.

I think you found a pretty good choice when carrying the 40, I've always thought that the .40S&W would be a pretty decant all around outdoorsman's pistol. But then again, I'd have no problem carrying around a 38-40 win. either.

Thanks for all the info! I don't think I would ever part with my 10mm but it's good to know there are other option out there as well. I may go look at a G29 this weekend.

Mere opinion.....

Keeping in mind that I have shot 44 magnums, single actions and double actions, yet never owned one; (I'm a 45 Colt guy, myself...), I'm of the opinion that, on a scale of one to ten, for a WOODS HANDGUN, with no other firearm in the equation, then the Ruger Super Blackhawk is a TEN, in fact, it should be the standard, by which all others should be compared. But if you are carrying a centerfire big-game rifle anyway, it would make better sense to have a 22 rimfire in your holster. Forget urban self defense against gangs of thugs; we're talking about the woods. Go with a decent revolver, guys; and if you don't have one, get one. WTH?

CO must have small bears...

We routinely kill them on south Ga bear leases, weighing over 500lbs.

This is one of those killed on the lease this year...536lbs. The guy standing beside the bear is the member that killed him...member is 6'4" and weighs 285lbs.

This bear took 5rds of Corbon 320gr 45colt from a leveraction before he stopped.

If I were gonna carry a .40...it would be cast bullets only...if you are gonna have problems with a black bear, it is going to be a bigger bear...and that dinky 180gr. hollow point will not penetrate like a cast bullet...and penetration is king on stopping bears.

3246_zpsxlwaixqg.jpeg

3251_zps8qhkcudq.jpeg

Last edited:
Back