Wood vs. Rubber Grips on a 686

wolf 1415

I've had my 686 powerport for about a month now and have not found any fault with the stock rubber grips, other than a tendency to point a little high compared to my beloved Berettas.

But I am a man, and therefore never content. I have noticed that most top-end custom wheelguns use wooden grips. Am I missing something by using rubber? (pun slightly intended)

I could see that the absence of finger grooves might help it point more naturally, and I'm not worried about the recoil properties of the rubber grips. Has anyone switched to wood and gone back? Or do you get wood and keep it? (another pun, slightly intended) Thanks!

For what its worth, I have put S&W factory wooden target grips on all my K and N frames with the exception of my 586 L frame. The 586 still wears the rubber Hogues that it came with. I got most of my grips at gun shows, used but in good condition. If you really want to compare rubber with wood you need to make the investment and get a pair unless you can find somebody with a Smith the same as yours, but wearing wood grips. I like the look of wood better, but the Hogues work ok for me. What is important with Smiths is that you stay away from the skinny Magna grips.

Wood Grips

Wolf, I just bought a used 686 and it came with finger groove wood grips direct from S&W. Personaly I like the wood
better then rubber and just because I think they look better;)

Wood is gives your weapon an nicer overall appearance. I personally can't stand most factory smith wood with the sharp checkering, but you can find beautiful aftermarket smooth wood grips. I believe smith makes fingergroove laminated wooden grips that look very nice also.

Rubber grips are great for when you might be in an environment with a lot of moisture. You don't want your nice wood swelling and cracking from moisture and humidity. The slightly tacky feel of rubber is also a benefit when your hands are wet.

So get you a set of both, some nice presentation grips, and some rubber work grips for that occasional camping trip.

Good Shooting
Red

Wood grips look really good and have a very traditional look. Rubber/nylon grips are more functional. Take your pick based on your priorities. My 686 always wore S&W stock checkered wood grips.

Have any of you noticed a tendency for your gun to "point" a little differently with one type of grip or the other?

I ask specifically because my Berettas come to target on autopilot. (albeit after 10,000 + rds of practice) The smith comes up high and I have to consciously lower the muzzle. Could non-finger groove grips change this?

Wolf,

By changing the grip type you may get the weapon to "point" slightly different for you, but nothing of real significance.

The way a weapon points has more to do with grip angle and bore axis in relation to grip angle. You could pick up five different weapons, more than likely all five weapons would point differently. Try closing your eyes, bringing your weapon to firing stance and open your eyes. Your barrel may have a downward cant or upward cant, in otherwords, how the weapon points.

Good Shooting
REd

Some of those wood grips are really great looking, but I've got a box of them gathering dust, because I put Houges on all my Smiths.

For me, the rubber grips make a consistent and repeatable grip much easier.

Joe

Back