Wood or fiberglass? the SKS question...

tuc22

After having a Monte Carlo synthetic stock on my SKS and realizing that it altered the stock weld too much when using the original iron sights, I'm considering going back to the wood furniture that came with it. I'm curious about the cheap Chinese red fiberglass stocks I see advertised, will they provide a better platform for increased accuracy than the standard wood used by the Chinese?

I too had the same problem with my SkS. I bought a monte carlo stock from Advanced Technologies and then found out that I couldn't get my cheek low enough to use the sights. I ended up putting a scope on. However, on my second sks I wanted open sights so I ordered a Vietnam era red fiberglass stock from Centerfire systems fo $10.00. I couldn't get the gun into the stock. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, if you do get one, they're kinda cheeeeezie, not a big improvement over what you've already got. I finally bought a Fiberforce stock(dragunov style) and it works well. It comes with a removeable cheekpiece which will have to come off to use your iron sights.

Hammy,
I just put my wood stock back on. I have a rubber butt extension to lengthen the stock about an inch and a half. I'm going to stick with this set-up until a find a synthetic that retains the original design yet is longer. I'm still curious whether the action sitting in a fiberglass stock would have greater potential for accuracy. Also, I'd like to change the front sight fixture and get rid of that bayonet mount, any suggestions?

The red fiberglas stock I got took a little filing to get the right fit. Even then I am not too sure. I couldn't get the right eye relief with my scope, but I bought a cheap compact. I had a K-Mount added to the receiver, and that involves drilling and tapping the receiver, and then a permanent scope base is there. It was dead on accurate and stayed accurate. Takedown was a lot more time consuming, though. I liked this, because every time the bolt slammed back with the cover mounted scope, my receiver cover would move, affecting the accuracy. All this I say in the past tense, 'cause I sold the SKS last summer. I used it for my groundhog gun, and I got a few, but I wanted to buy a new ccw pistol and took the proceeds from the sks sale and bought a KelTec P-32.
Now I need a new groundhog gun and have decided on the Marlin .22 mag. I think the model is 822

------------------
Knock twice. Rap with your cane. Feels nice. You're out of the rain. We got your skinny girls. Here at the Western World
from Steely Dan's "Western World"

I have messed around with a few SKS rifles trying to get the perfect set-up. On one I have the Dragunov style stock ( it's alright)
My favorite is the Choate sporter stock. It's nothing more than A longer synthetic factory style stock. I love it! They come in black and camo. You can buy one for $50.00 at www.riflestock.com ( from the factory). They have a picture on the site. As far as sights go, I would definatly remove the factory sights. Williams make a replacement rear sight that is very easy to install. They come in V-notch and peep sight. ( I like the peep sight). These sights are fully adjustable. You can buy them from BROWNELLS or CHEAPER THAN DIRT. For the front, I like to replace the sight post with a green one. A kit of five colored posts can be purchased out of the Shotgun News for about $6.00. This sight system works great for me and increases accuracy ten fold!!!!! Now for the tricky part.... This depends on the equipment you have available. I removed that useless bayonet lug from my postban by cutting it off with a hacksaw. I then used a bench grinder to round off the remaining metal. I then sanded out the grinding marks, and used a bench polisher to smooth it up more. Now you can cold blue the metal or teflon the entire gun. Teflon can be purchased thru BROWNELLS. It is much easier than you may think. All you need is one can (about$20.00) and an oven big enough to fit the barreled action. The directions are right on the can, and it works great!! If this sounds like a headache to you, just buy a bottle of 44/40 cold blue to touch up the exposed metal. After I did all of this I had a great fitting and shooting SKS. All for a little over $100.00. It was well worth it. I hope this helped you. If you have any questions on my reply, feel free to give me a ring! cbrant@nb.net
GOOD LUCK!!!
CJB
" I'M THE NRA! "

As far as removing the bayonet lug, I opted to keep mine. As long as, at least on a Chinese SKS, you stay away from folding stocks and detachable mags the ATF probably won"t hassle you. There are 20 round fixed magazines available for the SKS and when used with stripper clips really make a nice setup. Detachable magazines can get you in trouble on an SKS.

Back