Wood Glue and Linseed Oil

Noban

I'm in the process of refinishing a K98 mauser hardwood stock. In a couple of places I've filled in some decent divots with yellow wood glue mixed with saw dust. Do you think this mixture will hold up during my refinishing process? I plan on applying at least 5 coats of BLO, followed by a favorite mix of bees wax, BLO and turpentine.

Thanks for the anticipated advice.

Noban

[Edited by Noban on 01-03-2001 at 07:08 PM]

Noban, I've never tried wood glue. I repair deep dings with either shellac sticks or mix up a little Accraglas and either use the dye they provide or sawdust. I would think though that the glue would be all right. George

Noban--
You might consider doing a 'test' piece with a couple of spots of your filler mixture, on a similar color of wood, just to see how your filler responds.

My experience with these glues is that they are not usually harmed by typical wood finishes, but that the finish will not penetrate the glue, thus leaving a different color in the repaired area.

That is why most folks resort to the shellac stick method as George notes. I fix the dent as best I can by steam and/or judicious sanding. Then I finish, and then use shellac stick(s) to fill with a matching color. Hope this helps, weegee.

Most finishes don't hurt the glue, but also don't color it or "take" well on it. As a result you end up with "spots". Shellac sticks usually work better but are more limited when dealing with deep gouges. Linseed oil isn't going to take well on the glue. However the beeswax final coat may work fairly well as that (while it won't penetrate) will coat the glued area better than the oil would.

Back