Wondering when these S&Ws are made?

Bernie Link

Hi Friends, Question:

The 38sp (blued one) I've been told is a Pre model 10. Imprinted on barrel "CTG" serial #C1467XX. I've been told it was made between 1948 - 1952.

The stainless 357mag. is a model 65-3 serial #AMD10XX & I have no idea when it was made.

Both are in great condition & good shooters, a testament to S&W quality. Love both guns!!!

Can anyone give me your thoughts?

Thanks, Bernie

SampWlowres_zpsbjqgpwjn.jpg.html

Yes, your C gun is from 1948-1951, I do not know how to tie it down any closer without paying for a factory letter.

Looks like AMD is 1986.

P.S. The cryptic "CTG" is just an abbreviation for "Cartridge". Seems to confuse a lot of folks.

Howdy

I am probably looking at the same book as Jim, and the dates I came up with agree with his.

The term Pre-Model 10 is slang. I know one collector who claims there is no such thing as a Pre-Model anything.

The correct name for your revolver is 38 Military and Police (Postwar). The 38 Military and Police model was introduced in 1899. It went through numerous changes over the years, but it was always called the 38 Military and Police. After WWII, commercial production of the 38 M&P recommenced in 1946. In 1957, the 38 M&P Model became the Model 10.

Yes, I am very picky.

The "CTG" stamping on the barrel stands for "Custom Target Gun" which means the revolver is far more accurate and valuable over a normal S&W. :D

JK, it just stands for "cartridge", but almost nobody except die hard S&W fans know this and it's asked about and commented on extremely often.

I like that, Mod, I have been thinking about a fun expansion of C.T.G.

You have to pay attention when somebody says he has a .32 S&W CTGE.
He has a gun for the .32 S&W cartridge, but S&W didn't make it. IJ or H&R.

Of course nobody called a short action Miltary & Police a "pre model 10" in 1956, but the gun was the same as what became a Model 10 a year later. The collector makes a distinction between early guns, "transitional models," pre-model numbers, and model number guns.

Yep! Just like how everyone automatically assumes a "Webley revolver" is a big .455, when in actuality more .38/200 (i.e. .38 S&W) Webleys were made and issued.

You think?
Do not confuse an Enfield with a Webley, even though they look similar.
The Enfield was official issue and Webley the wartime supplement.

Back