Wondering if anyone has heard of "Mob Guns"

Skans

out of Ellenton Florida? I stumbled across them saw a resto-mod gun (Webely Mk VI) that I found interesting. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=291100932

I can't see spending that kind of money on this particular gun, but the work looked pretty darned good. I know that there will be those who will cringe at doing resto-mods to antique guns. Just wondering if anyone has seen these in person?

I saw the same auctions you have although I've not seen these guns in person.

I think its way cooler to have the original unmolested example (for about the same money or less I guess) than a resto-mod.

This company seems to be nothing more than a "mitchell's mausers" type outfit who specializes in vintage handguns.

Winchester_73 said:
This company seems to be nothing more than a "mitchell's mausers" type outfit who specializes in vintage handguns.

Bingo!

I've seen a few of there ad's on GB. They seem to tart up old guns like Piccadilly whores on Saturday night, and sell them at sky high prices.

My apologies to any Piccadilly whores.:cool:

Have never seen one in person so can't comment about workmanship.

They seem pretty pricey and aimed at a limited market.
Neat idea for many of them but not my thing.

'Zoot Shooters'

Like SASS, Cowboy Action, and The Wild Bunch, there is a small but enthusiastic group that likes to dress in and shoot Prohibition Era period correct accessories.

I don't know if they drive flat head Ford V-8s or not.

In one of Bogarts movies, he ementioned a Webley. A cut down Webley would fit nicely in a 'Zoot Shooters' arsenal.

Mob guns would fit right in with that crowd.

salty

I knew an independent who does this,,,

He buys unique looking firearms and repairs them to be safe shooters
Then he tricks them out to make them look brand new,,,
And resells them for insane amounts of cash.

I think he sells a lot of guns to the SteamPunk crowd

The funny thing is,,,
He seem to do all right with them,,,
I guess it's all in how you market your product.

His name is Jim Latterly,,,
Last I saw him was back in 1996,,,
He was based out of Riverside, California.

Aarond

In one of Bogarts movies, he ementioned a Webley.

It was "The Maltese Falcon," a movie version of one of Dashiel Hammet's stories, and gun mentioned was a Webley-Fosberry, a gun probably unknown to all but a few gun enthusiasts at the time

Never seen one in person, but I like the looks of most of theirs that I've seen in pictures.

If they want to take some old beaters and make them into something they never were—but cool, at least to some people—more power to 'em.

What does that remind me of? Oh, yeah, same principle as hot rod cars. (Or customs, anyway.)

I think their guns look great.
Throughout time criminals, and it seems especially those involved in organized crime, have had pretty flashy weapons. Look at the 1911s being bought by cartel leaders now.
If you want a reproduction mob gun it looks like they do a pretty good job of making one, although I still haven't seen any prices.

Yes, they are tearing up old guns to make these, but on their site they say they start with guns that are 60-80% with internal problems, and on all but the rarest guns that isn't something I am going to worry about.

Back