Wonder Seals?

Model12Win

Has any one gentleman present here experimented with "Wonder Seals" for their revolving caplock pistols?

OX023.jpg

They go atop the ball, not betwixt powder and ball, as the wads do, and have such form as a stiff wax disc that is pressed thusly to the ball from the chamber's mouth. I understand the wads are popular but do not hear much on the seals. I have bought the seals on accident once for my Colt's belt pistol of navy caliber, they went unused and have since been sold along with the Colt.

I have purchased one of Colonel LeMat's grapeshot revolvers and understand they have got a rather small powder chamber. I think these seals could be put atop the ball, saving more space for powder that otherwise would be consumed by a felt wad, and as such be substituted for said wad.

So what is the consensus on these seemingly clever inventions?

Last edited:
If the ball is a proper fit, and an underwad is used, it's probably not necessary.
Using one would also prevent being able to use a maximum charge of powder if desired.
Lastly, it might cause accuracy issues, having to load the bullet farther from the barrel.
Just a thought or three.
Only one way to find out, though.

I believe than one of the pistol competitions requires over bullet grease, these may be made for that market.

Don't shoot competition. I did experience cross fire from the mouth of the cylinder.
Some holes on these Imports might be one .452 and some others .453 or .454.
So I use oversize balls and the extra lead gets saved off when loading, give little longer bewaring surface and heavier ball, and tight fit. I load the balls over two lubed CVA over powder wads. Only ones around here. I could use three or four as thee cylinder is that long with standard loading. If you are still getting cross fire try a larger ball and over powder wad. If you still need over ball lubed wad let us know. If required in competition that's another thing. Shooting black lets gunk build up but not usually in the cylinder?
Even so for informal shooting I like Triple 7. Maybe the idea is getting a little lube on the barrel bore before the ball passes, and keeping gunk soft from previous and all shots?

Haven't been wadding or greasing anything lately. Making paper cartridges then adding lube on the outside of the bullet.

Back