Wolf and hog

vts

A friend just gave me some really compelling argument to join in on a hog and wolf hunt in Russia.
And it got me thinking.
They say a large hog is 600pound and large
wolf is 160pound.
My cartridge would be 30-06Springfield.
What would be the ideal bullet?
Something that could penetrate deep into a 600pound hog. But also expand and effectively takedown a small wolf.

Bullet makers' R&D has 180-grain bullets giving as good penetration as the 220s which once were considered as needed for such as your intended hogs. Doesn't mean you should shun the 220s, of course.

Whichever gives the tightest groups when you sight in.

Be sure you learn the trajectory of whatever load you choose.

Any cartridge capable of cleanly taking deer will kill a hog, I don't care how big they are. Poke 'em in the ear and then go pick them up. Boar gristle plates can slow down a bullet, but it shouldn't stop a 30-06.

Mosin-Nagants and shotguns in Russia

I worked in the former Soviet Union for a number of years and was aquainted with a couple of hunters. They used Mosin-Nagants (7.62 x 54mmR) and shotguns for nearly all hunting applications. Any moose, bear, boar, and wolf is quite dead after being shot by a Mosin-Nagant.

I did suspect that most bullets from a 30-06 would do the job.
I did not think about Nosler Partition. I will try them and compare them with Swift A-frame.
I had my mind sett on a monolithic 150-165gr.
Partition and A-frame do fit the bill.

No doubt a 06 would dispatch both the rooter and the hound. If the first cartridge doesn't do the job for yaw usually there's four more that will.:D

A 160 pound wolf would be a very large wolf. More about where you'd be hunting in Russia than anything else.
Apparently, there was one Russian hog that went slightly over 1100 pounds. Five and half feet at the shoulder. Took 3 rounds to kill it. No mention of 3 rounds of what though. Meh. So does Bullwinkle. Any 165 grain hunting bullet will kill it. Shot placement is essential, of course. Mind you, given the cost of such a hunt, I'd be thinking premium bullets.

What would be the ideal bullet?

Whatever bullet your rifle shoots accurately. Any 30.06 hunting bullet should work.

I have acquired a box of 165gr A-Frame
And some factory 165gr GMX Superformance.
I'll try them out when work slows down enough to give me more than a few days at home.

I'd go with Barnes 180gr TTSX-BT.
I bet that bullet will penetrate as deeply as the traditional 220 RN while leaving behind much more damage to bone/tissue.

Back