Wolf ammo fouled my barrel?

chris in va

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Normally my CZ 223 is quite accurate even with my so-so reloads, around 1moa or less. Someone gave me a box of Wolf JHP and I figured might as well shoot it.

Big mistake.:eek: My rifle gave buckshot patterns after that, even at 50 yards. I immediately suspected my scope but it was locked down solid. Soon as I got home the bore got a few patches run through and they were FILTHY.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but can Wolf really do this?

wolf runs pretty dirty. here is a possible coincidence but I noticed a few years back that I got the best groups with wolf ammo out of my AR, well I didn't shoot that much of it but after a while I went back to trying handloads, factory, reman, nothing could produce better than 3 inch groups. tried copper fouling remover, all sorts of different cleaning methods, I never really removed much of anything from the barrel, it just never seemed to shoot right.

Of all the Russian imports, Wolf always seemed all over the place when I used it. Some lots shot great, others, not so much.

Ive pulled bullets in lots good and bad, and looked at the bases, and the bad lots usually had lead smears across the bottom and were not the nice, clean roll crimp you usually see with the with the lots that shoot well. I think that has a lot to do with it.

Back