wolf 154gr sp

dog1

Has anyone tried the 7.62x39 154gr sp load made by wolf? I want to give it a try for the 2002 deer season.

I'm forever a sceptic about the AK round for deer hunting, particularly with something like an SKS.

What muzzle velocity do they claim for this Wolf round? What rifle are you using? How good a shot are you? What ranges are probable? What size of deer is likely?

I grant I'm hipped on the "clean kill" thing. I had a 125-pound (field-dressed) mule deer hump up and look insulted when I put a hot 150-grain '06 load into him--but a bit behind and above the heart. My next shot killed him, but if the brush had been a bit thicker the story could have been different...

Art

A couple of months ago I read on another forum to avoid Wolf ammo and there were reasons cited concering how they are made and the possibility of barrel damage or something like that. I don't recall the details and I was only planning on buying them for target practice and blasting coyotes, but the reasoning was strong enough that I cancelled my order. Sorry I don't recall the exact problem or the particular forum, but I would recommend going with quality American made ammunition instead.

No, it is 7.62x39, it is a new load that wolf came out with a few months ago. It is supposed to be more effective on deer sized game. I have a few boxes and want to test them out before I use them for hunting, the 123gr sp load out of my scoped sks is accurate but I dont always get an exit on deer.

I guess the question is - how do they shoot out of your rifle? If it were me, I'd then fill a garbage bag (green) with newspapers and wet'em down. When you get a foot or two (or three) try your 123 SPs and see how much that load penetrates. If the 154 exceeds that benchmark and has decent expansion, make the switch. (providing accuracy is acceptable)

Giz

Back