Witloe Revolver, Pa manufacture/info/interest?

wikidoki

Inactive
Hey all, I am new to the forum because i am searching for information on a percussion revolver manufactured in in the mid-1960's in Pennsylvania. It is a Witloe .44 with adjustable target sights. Seems to be high quality with a fantastic trigger. I have no knowledge of these guns and wonder about their value and collectibility. It is in excellent condition and probably was not fired very much. Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks in advance T.C.

The Witloe is one of the hardest replica revolvers to find. They were only in business for a couple of years in late 1950's. Went out of business because they couldn't compete with Navy Arms at that time. Totally American made from scratch, no Italian parts. Made what was called a "Lee" and a "Grant" model.
"Lee" had a Bronze, not Brass, frame and the "Grant" had a Steel frame. R. T. Lane bought up all the left over parts, etc. and produced a few in the mid 1960's. These later revolvers are known as 2nd Generation Witloes. Most were target models.

1st Generation were marked: WITLOE PRECISION INC
COLLINGDALE PENNA USA

2nd Generation were marked: WITLOE
COLLINGDALE PENNA USA

They're apparently pretty collectible. A second gen in a cased set went for 1,500.00 in the 80's

I came across this one in one of those "I want these guns out of my house" deals. It is definately a second generation and it is mounted with Bo-mar adjustable rear and a high "partridge" type front sight. I have the original bill of sale because the fellow (passed away in the late 60's) went and picked it up from the builder with another man whom also bought one. I dont shoot black powder at all (except for an inline muzzleloader) so it probably should go to someone that would use it. It has a three digit serial number and looks to be in great shape. Any idea what a reasonable asking price should be? Thanks T.C.

That is a tough call because of the fact that they are so rare, that perhaps not that many people have heard of it. Maybe put it on a gun auction site with a lowball starting bid like 4-500$ and give it a good writeup. Like, give as much history as you can glean from the info here and elsewhere, make sure it is real clean and good looking, not necessarily polished, just clean and oiled without finger prints etc. Then take real good pictures of it. Fuzzy pictures are bad news. Mention the bill of sale and whatever else you have. Well look at some of the nicer listings as compared to the crummy looking online listings. Run the auction as long as you can, well not three days or something like that, you need to get exposure time for everyone to become aware of it. Use title for listing like RARE Witlow revolver or the like, to grab attention. Maybe you have ebay and know about listings? If you start with a too high price, on an auction, some folks will just pass it by and not look closely I don't think. But they might get into it and bid it up to the price you want.

Thanks for the input. I should be honest and tell you that when I picked it up, I really did not want it. It was made clear that it was buy everything or nothing. So I ended up with alot of useless items. I know that I had the bill of sale but am having a hard time locating it right now. I hope it did not get lost in the culling process. I really thought that I was buying a cheap european copy of a cap n ball revolver. I think the original owner paid approximately 50 dollars for the gun originally. Any more information would be great and thank you for the responses. There are times with I think that internet searches are useless, but more than not they are invaluable. Thanks again T.C.

Now might be a...........

.............good time to take up black powder. I got a good deal on a Ruger Old Army that I couldn't pass up. Meant to resale for profit but tried it instead and found out I liked it more than centerfires. Very relaxing. I shoot with a guy half my age and he's now handloading black powder .44 mags for a Blackhawk with a Lee Loader while I'm reloading my ROA. He wants to get a cap & baller now, just isn't set up for it financially yet. My stepson wants one also. And these guys are twenty-somethings. Gives us time to bat the breeze and have a brew. Kinda nice to control your recoil thru how much powder you want to use. And the recoil for a full load is nothing compared to centerfire rounds of the same caliber or close. I'm much better with BP. Of course that could be the brews.:D Seriously though, with such a collector piece, I would at least try it and build up a little envy at the club amongst the BP shooters. You even have a good story to go with it!

Kevin in Pa

Hi, Wikidoki,

Don't worry about the bill of sale to you. Possession of a legal object is assumed to be legal unless someone can prove otherwise.

The advice on how to sell (if you choose to do so) sounds good. Lots of luck.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I have a bill of sale to myself. I meant that I believed I had the original bill of sale to the original owner. I will probably place it in an auction, or online at this site. I really appreciate the information. If there is more out there I would like to hear about it. How about other owners of Witloes, anyone? Thanks T.C.

WTB & Information about Witloe Revolvers

Wanted, any information concerning the Witloe Precision, Inc. made Remington 1858 New Model Army revolver. Two models were made, the “Grant” and the “Lee”. I wish to purchase both of these as well.

drjldavis@hotmail.com

Back