With friends like these...

Phillip

I read the letters section of the Oct. 18 1999 Newsweek just a few minutes ago. Under the title "Slaughter in Ft. Worth" was this drivel.

As a gun owner I was appalled to learn that George W. Bush had signed an amendment allowing a person to carry a firearms into a church and requiring the church to post a sign if it wants to ban guns. What have we come to that we would dare to defile a place of worship beacuse of the obsessive love affair Americans have with guns? If I could bring back just one life lost in Ft. Worth by surrendering ever gun I have I would gladly do so. Gun ownership and the Second Amendment are not worth the loss of our youth.
William R. Morris- Baker, LA

Sorry about that.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

[This message has been edited by Ed Brunner (edited October 20, 1999).]

It's really sad to think that there are people really ready to give up their rights, liberty, and freedom just so they can feel safe. Why don't these people realize that people have been killing other people long before the invention guns. Ever hear of rocks, the jawbone of an ass, sticks, spears, etc? IT AIN'T THE GUNS, STUPID! IT'S THE PEOPLE!

------------------
RKBA
www.southernparty.org

[This message has been edited by longhair (edited October 20, 1999).]

Mr Morris should know, as a gun owner, that it takes a gun to stop a gun.

My grandmother once told me a story about when she was a girl in rural Kentucky. When she and her family would go to church, the first thing the minister would do was reach under his robe, pull out his revolver and set it on the pulpit for all to see. Seems there were some family feuds in that part of the country and he was letting everyone know that there would be no feudin' in church!

This wasn't "defiling a place of worship," it was simply peace through superior firepower.

God takes care of those that take care of themselves.

------------------
RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsey Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

I too would appreciate not going to Church armed. It is a proven fact that the Heathen do not proscibe to the sanctitiy of Holy places. This has been proven since the first rock cairn was stacked and called an alter. So I believe that God has granted me the right as a shepherd of his mortal flock to protect the sheep from predators. The "drivil" about giving up ones guns to save one child is a denial of reality. I believe that someone with this emotion should reasses thier mental state and seek professional help. This is very disturbing and should be resolved.

This is not a personal attack. I am concerned for another persons mental health.

We try to be reality based in our thinking and react accordingly.

God Bless,

ts

During the War Between the States, Georgia law required that every man bring a loaded musket to church with him.

I don't see what's so "defiling" about people protecting themselves anywhere. Did Jesus defile the synagogue when he chased out the moneychangers with a whip (egads! He used a weapon!)? Do these people lock their car doors while they're in church, or just trust that nothing will happen?

I would like to feel safe at home, at work, in my car, at church, or wherever, but the reality is that I'm not!

I doubt that Mr Morris actually owns any gun. Sounds more like a HCI fan/official posing as a gun owner. He echoed each and every HCI point.

It won't ever get printed, but I'm going to write Newsweek. I'll start off by saying "I don't own a gun, but . . . " and then repeat the NRA/GOA/JFPO line.

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

The original TX CHL prohibited CHL
holders from carrying into a place of
worship.

Bush later signed a revision that still
kept the prohibition but stated that for
it to be in force - there would have to
be appropriate signage.

One doubts that Morris is really a "gun owner". But I pose this problem - I oppose
gun bans in general. I can see that they
might be necessary if one could demonstrate
that the carrying of a concealed weapon was
truly dangerous or risky. For example, if
you were checking into the hosiptal for surgery and would be out of possession of your gun for a significant portion of time,
it might be reasonable that you leave the gun
home. You can come up with a few reasonable
scenarios for carry bans based on real danger.

However, the church ban was pure ideology
and antigun rhetoric. Places of worship are
so holy that a gun would defile them.

This means that the state is making a decision about the nature of worship. How can
the state decide if it is or is not against
the values of an institution of worship to have a handgun?

Can they tell Jews not to wear a yarmulka
or women to wear veils in a mosque?

They cannot proscribe the conditions of worship unless there is a pressing safety
need (no human sacrifice). They are telling
places of worship how their attendees must
act and behave. Is this not a 1st Amendment issue?

In TX, carry is banned in businesses that make 51% of their income based on alcohol
- probably to avoid drunken shootouts.

What is the active risk in a church, mosque or temple that gives the state the right to
tell worshippers their conditions of worship?

Unfortunately, deities usually don't appear to save your butt when you are in trouble.

Are you telling a Jew that if racists threatened to attack a Saturday service
that they could not have their carry guns?

If another anti-Baptist loon surfaced, would
my Baptist friend be better off without
his Kel-tec in his pocket?

Church bans wrap themselves in the surface
logic of the sacred nature of God but it
is merely a ploy to make CCW harder.

If you ever have been threatened because of
your religious identity (and I have) you realize that holy Jerks like Morris are
ridiculous.

Let Morris volunteer to be the unarmed
bodyguard for a Jewish Day Care or a
Baptist church.

Just my opinion. Waiting for the Deity to
tell me that I can't defend me and mine.

The man is most likely a Poser.
Definitely a WUSS (that as nice as I can be right now, I'm in a mood)

Anyway, he wants to trade his hardware for a victims life. That sounds great, it's a fantasy, but sounds like a hell of a deal. Bring back a victim, and haul off some of my toys, fine, let's go, Count me in, take em all. Like I said, helluva deal.
But it sounds ike he's wanting to take away all our RIGHT to own firearms. By doing that, we all become victims. It's just a matter of when.

I agree this guy is probably not a gun owner. OTOH, I have found some sad cases of actual gun owners that don't get it. They are the ones whose son is a target shooter with a .22 rifle, a duck hunter, a quail hunter, etc. You know the ones - they're not after his / her gun (today ...), so they really don't give a damn about anyone else.

When Massad Ayoob teaches at LFI, he actually puts it in terms of the sheepdog protecting the lambs. A pretty good analogy, IMHO.

People like Morris aren't our friends. At best, they are fools who happen to own guns. I don't want to share anything with them, including range time.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited October 20, 1999).]

I agree with those of you who say that Morris is probably not a real gun owner.
I posted this because when I read it it made me feel a little demoralized, but then that was the whole point of it being written IMO. There appears to be so much against us, and make no mistake, there is. But we all know that there are fence sitters amongst us. Those who will trade off one gun for another. I feel that the type of letter written by Morris is the kind meant to sway the opinion of that type of shooter.
I also read another letter in the opinions section of the newpaper (Austin American Statesman...if you can call it a newspaper. Those in Austin know what I mean) where some idiot blamed the death of 3 DPS Troopers on a "semi automatic machine gun".
The media loves to shower us with stories of the evil gun. When there is something good to be said, there is not a word.
When does it end?

Hell, if clinton can go into a church without it being defiled, what harm is a little gun? Should they ban cigars to?

------------------
The beauty of the second Amendment is that it is not needed until they try to take it. T JEFFERSON

I'm not sure I believe the guy has ever SEEN a gun, much less owned one. However, to me an even better response would be that guess what? Surrendering all of your guns would clearly NOT bring back one of those lives. DUH!

Back