Wish I hadn't got the 58- Looks like a good deal on a Pietta Spiller .36

The Spiller & Burr is kinda neat, but given a choice I'd rather take a Remington any day of the week. Brass frames don't sit right with me, and spare parts for them are probably in modest distribution compared to more common models.

Remember the grass is always greener on the other side ;)

Hehe....that can be true. But I've had me eye on getting a Spiller, for a whilst now ;) But, I MUST stay true to my limits...or I'd be up to my ear-balls in pistolas :p Not a fan of brassers myself, but I wanted one for my Johnny Reb hossmen impression:D

Delmar If you feel that way 'bout New Armys, you'll hate this good sir. I'm an open top man :) Just got the remmy cuz of the deal I got on it, and I've never shot one before.

This will make a nice piece for someone though. And ever since Mr. Mike did that excellent video on the spiller, I've seen a big jump in interest on them here. So snap it up guys before someone else does:)

Two different animals. The S&B is smaller and in navy caliber only unless you can find one of those rare .44s made in Lake City, Florida many years ago.

I got a Pietta spiller and burr a couple of years ago at a great price from an online auction site. I had always liked the look of it as a revolver.

Turns out I got rid of it almost immediately. The action was extremely rough, cylinder tended to hang up and quit turning. In addition it shot ridiculously high, about 4 feet high at 50 feet range.

I have several other BP revolvers; it wasn't worth it to me to fool with it.

Chaz

Same here Doc, they're an oddball in a world of open tops and remmys. Everything about them is different to me, they even sound different from other .36s

I've always like to look of Whitneys too, which adds to my want for one someday;) can't believe no one has snapped it up yet.

Hope I don't get banned, :p
but the .36 Pietta Spiller and Burr has become a "slight" favorite of mine. However, the rest of the clan is OK with that because I love them all.

I figgered you'd be all over that one, Josey. I knew you had a fondness for 'em. :)

I kinda want one, 'cause I don't have one. But then if I was to fill a "want", I still want a Dance & Bros and haven't gotten around to getting one of those either. :rolleyes:

Beagle,
didn't get up your way this year, things look like they are happening on the plains. :)
Good to hear from you again, you are right, I certainly like my S & B. I'm sure that marketing had a lot to do with the original design not being popular. With a top strap, thin design, and easy break down, the Whitney should have been the pistol of the war. But it wasn't. The S & B copy with its brass looks great.

OJW

Back