Wisdom from a gunsmith

L. Boscoe

My favorite gunsmith, whose main work is building competition
1911's, told me that the culprit behind SWC not feeding properly is
not the feed ramp but the magazine. He said they trim about 0.030
off the mag lip to help feeding SWC rounds. Is this news? It certainly was to me.:cool:

Feeding SWC requires properly configured feed lips in the magazine and a properly fitted extractor.
If either of these is missing feeding SWC is problematic.
I have known this for decades.

L. Boscoe said:
My favorite gunsmith, whose main work is building competition
1911's, told me that the culprit behind SWC not feeding properly is
not the feed ramp but the magazine. He said they trim about 0.030
off the mag lip to help feeding SWC rounds. Is this news? It certainly was to me.
Which type of magazine is he talking about? There are three different feed lip configurations for 1911s -- the original, Browning-designed "GI" feed lips, the "Wadcutter" style feed lips, and the hybrid style that combines elements from both the GI style and the wadcutter style.

Dunno which kind-looks like I need to REALLY study up on these magazines. CZ and Tanfoglio and Sig don't have this complexity, do
they?:eek:

More pics, courtesy of Niemi24s at the M1911.org forum:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P08B030002atxt.JPG
    P08B030002atxt.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 450
  • P08B070001ctxt.JPG
    P08B070001ctxt.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 457
I throated my barrel per the Wilson Combat videos on Youtube.
Doesn't matter which magazine i use, it'll feed an empty case.
Used to have issues with 185gr LSWC before.
Not anymore.

The Metalform wadcutter mag cured all my problems when I discovered it 25 years ago. Matter of fact, two of the ones I have are still the originals from back then. I haven't even had to change the springs. 25 years and still working great.

My hitherto reliable gun decided it wasn't going to deal in SWCs any more at a match on Saturday, two misfunctions in 75 rounds. Maybe it was the magazine, I was working out of a Duke's mixture. Any road, that was the last SWC in the house, it will be roundnose in the future. Components are too expensive to test and tune specialty ammo.

My Rock Island is all original except for CMC mags and grips. All it gets is home cast SWC's and some Tula now and then. It hasn't had a hiccup in 11 years. It too feeds empty cases.

Back