Winter project

Mike Baugh

I have a Remington 700 stainless DBM that I would like to have put in a nice light weight quality kevlar/fiberglass stock and do away with the DBM and go with a fixed blind mag like in the ADL version . Who would you recommend to perform this surgery ? Thanks , Mike...

Mike-

This is the third time I've read this post and decided to reply.

The Remington 700 Stainless DBM is a highly desireable rifle. A stainless 700 is like a dream come true. AND with a detachable box mag! Beautiful! Great idea. Why would you want to modify it in such a way to make it less useful and valuable?

Weight? It already wears a synthetic stock right? The rifle itself comes in at about 7.5 add a scope and sling 8.5 maybe.

You could get an ADL synthetic from HS Precision and new bottom metal (probably not stainless) and perform the surgery yourself- you won't save much in weight and the price will probably be half way to another rifle...

Alternatives:

Sell your rifle and try to locate a Remington Stainless Mountain Rifle in your prefered caliber. That'll be tough...

Trim 2-4" off your existing barrel depending on caliber to save weight or rebarrel with featherweight contour or contour to match Mountain Rifle.

Cannabalize your rifle for a full blown custom project to your specifications.

Change the purpose of your rifle. I picture a Remington Stainless 700 Urban Tactical Rifle. 20" factory barrel precision crowned .308 prefered, heavy glass bead blast dark matte grey (like concrete), pillar bedded factory stock, Warne matte Rear Peep base and front base, factory front sight with post, trigger job, spare mag in buttstock pouch, and Leupold 3.5-10x50mm Matte Duplex scope in Warne matte rings. The detachable box mag is an asset in a tactical rifle- more functional than pretty...

DeeBee , The detachable mag really does not thrill me that much . I love the rifle and it is the most accurate bolt gun I have ever shot . I have a friend that is a sniper on the local PD , he shoots a Remington 40X with a Leupold police scope and a bipod , with him shooting Federal match and myself shooting Federal 150 ballistic tips [my guns favorite factory load] you would be hardpressed to tell which group came from which rifle . It will consistently shoot 1/2"-5/8" 100 yard groups off of bags . The problem is that I am a chronic tinkerer and I always think that I can make something better . I would like to make the gun as damage proof as possible , I feel like the main weak link in these rifles is the factory DM . If I had it pillar bedded in a sturdy solid bottom stock I feel like it would hold up to a lot more abuse , hopefully I would never have to test this . The only thing that sticks in my mind is if I do this it might not shoot as well as it does now , which is why I want to have a pro do it [to eliminate the Mike factor] . The factory stock is pretty cheesy and flexible in my opinion and I can load a standard internal mag rifle faster than I can load the DM mags when they are empty , the mags are OK when you have extras to pop in but realistically you would probably only have 1 spare and after it is empty you would have to load them by hand also . In the DM rifles I have used the mags have quite a bit of play and I am concerned about feeding reliability , plus the bottom metal is made of cast aluminum which after 1 good hit would probably make the gun a single shot , after you broke off the bent trigger guard so you could pull the trigger that is . My gun had to have the bottom metal replaced when new , one of the mag catch slots was broke right out of the box , this has always bothered me and was one of the reasons I thought I would spend some money on it this winter . The main reason for the ADL style over the BDL style on the stock is the cost of the steel floor plate and associated parts , plus I never drop the floor plate to unload anyway . I am going to look into the Warne peep base and front sight you mentioned . Thanks , Mike...

[This message has been edited by Mike Baugh (edited November 13, 1999).]

Ah. I understand your points. If you don't have confidence in the gun, it needs to be modified. Being a incurable tinkerer myself, I always believe it can me smoother, tighter, or just plain better... And like you, when I work up a rifle, I immediately get rid of all plastic and aluminum parts or select another rifle!

If you accept the fact the rifle will not be significantly lighter after the modifications, I recommend the following:

HS Precision ADL Stock
ADL Trigger Guard Stainless (Williams or Rem factory might be stainless now instead of aluminum)
ADL Magazine Stainless
ADL Spring and Follower (maybe available in Stainless)
A good "post" type front sight to interface with the rather small Warne peep (your suggestions or recommendation appreciated).

This should get you damn close in terms of parts... everthing is probably at Brownells or can be ordered from Remington factory...

Do a test fit, see if it will feed. Do a good before accuracy test and keep the data. Send the rifle to a professional gunsmith for the trigger job, pillar bedding and free float.

I'd check into Mill Creek Shooters Supply who specialize in accurate Remington 700s for this modification.

This should give you the solid feel and simplicity you desire. I hope the accuracy remains at its peak...

Back