Wingmaster value?

AL45

I was in Cabelas today and they had a 12 gauge modified fixed choke Wingmaster for $399.00. Bluing was good and he wood looked good. I'm not sure how old it was. I have always wanted a Wingmaster, but I'm guessing it was at least $100.00 too high. Was I right?

The base price of $400.00 is fine for a Wingmaster with a fixed Mod chock 28" long barrel. Add $100.00 for Remchocks. add $100.00 for the 26" Target barrel, add $75.00 for a 30" fixed full chock with a rib, add $100.00 for the 30" barrel with Remchocks. There are lots of "Good" used barrels for the 870.

As long as the wood is "Good", I won't worry about it, IF the butt stock is a Monte Carlo add $50.00.

What will you be shooting with this Wingmaster? With the Monte Carlo Stock and 30" barrel it is a trap shooting machine.

This price and the extra costs are based on what I see here in Central California.

Last edited:
It depends on your market. Around here you can generally find wingmasters for around $250-$300 used. Big box stores like Cabelas are going to be higher.

I own 4 Wingmasters, all 20ga, all really old, I have never paid more than $250 for them. Used of course.

All of mine are X models with the exception of one.

None came with screw in chokes and all have the 28" barrel. I sent 3 of them off to Mike Orlin and had chokes installed

Without saying where "HERE" is, the OP has no idea if that matters. Where I live in FL, the price is average and Cabelas will usually dicker 10% off.

Very true what the posts are saying regarding locations.When I decide to buy a used gun,the process is different than when buying new.First I do MY homework to find out exactly which gun I want and the amount I'm willing to pay for it.Only then does the "hunt" begin.Good Hunting ! Skeets :D

I picked up a 1975 Wingmaster magnum for $400 yesterday, 30" Full, wood and bluing are near mint. I'll try and get some pics up later.

Did wingmasters have steel magazine followers back then?

Wingmaster's haven't always been Remington's higher end shotgun. Paid $279Cdn, I think, for mine, 35ish years ago(early 80's). Plain barrel, fixed Full choke, 6 or so vertical grooves on the forestock. No RemCHOKES in those days, as I recall.
"...steel magazine followers..." Have to look to be sure, but I think it's steel. Not at home.

There have always been several Grades of Wingmasters available. The mid '70s "standard" Wingmasters are about as good as it gets in my opinion. They went to plastic followers sometime in the early '70s. I have had 6 (long story) and never a problem.
I paid $150 brand new out the door for a Magnum in September 1974, and I would gladly pay $1,000 or more for that gun in new condition if such were possible. But it is not, c'est la vie.

I was looking around in collectors firearms in Houston a few years a go, and ran across a left handed 12 gauge modified fixed choke Wing master for around $275.00 so I took it home.

Took it skeet shooting, and shot a perfect 25 with it, and got some dirty looks from my friends with their over unders lol :D

I say go for it.

"...They have always been their higher end PUMP gun..." No, they haven't. There was no "Express" or any other 870 line, at one time. Helps to have been there.

True, but there have been multiple models of 870s for decades now and the wingmaster has always been top dog. Dont need to have been alive in 1951 to know that. ;)

Few years ago, found a Remington Model 870TC, the receiver was marked Wingmaster TC, and the stock was Trap (Outstanding wood).:):):)

Found a Wingmaster in a pawn shop for 290.00. It had a 26" vented rib barrel labeled for 2 3/4 12 gauge shells. It had some rust and pitting on the receiver and barrel, so I talked him down to 250.00. The wood was in good shape and after a little 0000 steel wool, CLP and Hoppe's 9, it cleaned up nicely. Pits are of course still there, but it could be reblued and pits would be even less noticeable. Shoots great and can't wait for Quail season.

Back