Windicator 357 Snub

Onward Allusion

Picked up a Windicator snub in 357 Mag. Nicely surprised at the range. I was able to hit 1.5-2" group bullseyes. The original grips are plain old black hard rubber. Ugly as sin. I swapped it out with a set from a Weihrauch HW3.

BTW, for those of you who are unfamiliar - Windicators are made by Weihrauch. They make the higher end air rifles from Germany.

Anyway, when I took the OEM grips off, the frame looked really strange. It's like missing the backstrap. I have never seen revolver frames w/o the backstrap. I mean it shoots fine but it's just weird. Are there other revolvers that are designed w/o a backstrap?

The 2nd pic is with the HW3 grips.

Attachments

• windicator357b.jpg
    windicator357b.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 276
  • windicator357a.jpg
    windicator357a.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 232
I got the grips after doing a little research on the Windicator. They use the same grips as the Arminus HW3, HW5, and HW7. The grips are also the same as the Titan Tiger once imported by FIE.

Just jump to eBay. I'd lucked out and get one for $16. I also have one with a hairline crack that I'd picked up for $12. They are one piece grips.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the Windicator. It is a very well made no-frills 357 snub. All steel with a full shroud. Finish is on par with a Taurus. I like that it is a 6-shot. I'm still surprised at the lack of a backstrap, though

I've ran 2 boxes of factory 38's & 2 boxes of factory magnums thru mine and it didn't blow up or even gotten loose. :D

I got the grips after doing a little research on the Windicator. They use the same grips as the Arminus HW3, HW5, and HW7. The grips are also the same as the Titan Tiger once imported by FIE.

Just jump to eBay. I'd lucked out and get one for $16. I also have one with a hairline crack that I'd picked up for $12. They are one piece grips.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the Windicator. It is a very well made no-frills 357 snub. All steel with a full shroud. Finish is on par with a Taurus. I like that it is a 6-shot. I'm still surprised at the lack of a backstrap, though

Interesting. i'd read somewhere that it was a Zamak frame. maybe that was wrong, or things have changed.

I have and Arminus .38 Special revolver. It is made by the same German firm Weihrauch. I bought it real cheap only to find out I overpaid based on going prices. I thought I was getting a bargain at a $135.00.

It has a single screw holding a one piece plastic grip attached to a frame nub is the only way I can describe it. Like the OP stated it looks weird, and I think it looks cheap. The frame and cylinder appear sturdy enough, but I would not categorize it as a quality revolver.

The Windicator revolvers chambered in 38 Spl have the Zamak frame. Here's another weird one...The barrel is nicely stamped with ".38 Special" BUT there is a "357 Magnum" lasered in just below the "38 Special".

For $300 range toy, I can't really complain. I just got it for grins and giggles.

Onward Allusion got another Windicator peculiarity. Notice how the muzzle on your snubbie is not blued, and no crown?
EAA imports them with a 4" barrel, and 2" shroud. Then cuts the barrel off to match the snubbie shroud. Because of the GCA of 1968 they can't be imported with a two inch barrel.
I bought one a gew yewrs back. Great range toy for the money. I also wouldn't be opposed to a Windicator for home defense, or something to keep (well secured) in my truck.

The 357 magnum has a steel frame. The 38spcl only version has a cast frame. They use the same barrel shroud which is why the 357 mag stamping looks like an afterthought next to the 38 spcl stamping on the shroud.

The 38spcl only version has a cast frame.
"Cast" is not a metal or metal alloy. Therefore, it begs the question: What kind of metal is the gun cast from? Cast Iron, Cast Steel, Zinc alloy ("Pot Metal")?

ZAMAK, a modern, higher strength alloy of zinc, aluminum magnesiun and copper. With much better metallurgy than the old alloy garnering the pot metal name.

I didn't specify which metal because I wasn't sure. I knew the non-357 magnum Windicator does not have a steel frame, while the 357 magnum version does.

I had one too! Fun Gun!

I just left my EAA Windicator 38 spl/357 on consignment at the local range. When I first got it, the thing shot fine and I could hit what I aimed at even at ten yards. Then it developed a glitch. It would hang up and not cock even when empty. Then it started to free wheel. You'd pull the trigger and the thing wouldn't stop spinning. Very strange. Sent it in to EAA and not too long after got it back. That was about a year ago and have had it to the range atleast once a month since then and it has worked just fine. I have even carried on occasion. It's on consignment now cause I'd like to get a Ruger GP100 in the same caliber and I've had my fun with the Windicator.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Prof Young, did EAA give you an explanation of what was wrong or what they fixed? How would you rate EAA's customer service?

Good Customer Service . . .

GarandTd:
I don't recall if they delineated the exact causes of the problems. I do recall a relatively quick turn around time, say about two weeks at the most, but I think it was more like ten days. And the gun has run flawlessly since I got it back. On a scale of 1-10 with ten being the best I'd give their customer service at least an 8.

Life is good.
Prof Young

I just left my EAA Windicator 38 spl/357 on consignment at the local range. When I first got it, the thing shot fine and I could hit what I aimed at even at ten yards. Then it developed a glitch. It would hang up and not cock even when empty. Then it started to free wheel. You'd pull the trigger and the thing wouldn't stop spinning. Very strange. Sent it in to EAA and not too long after got it back. That was about a year ago and have had it to the range atleast once a month since then and it has worked just fine. I have even carried on occasion. It's on consignment now cause I'd like to get a Ruger GP100 in the same caliber and I've had my fun with the Windicator.

Life is good.
Prof Young
I actually had a similar experience and made the same decision in a few days... The short barrel 357 windicator was bought, shot a few boxes, and traded back in on a GP-100. Only time I ever traded or sold away a gun.

I was disappointed with mine even though for the price I knew I was getting something "OK" but not quite where I wanted it to be. I certainly paid more for the GP-100, but I came away happier even though I dropped $100+ on the trade.

I think if you get a good one, and by posted accounts service is good, it fits a niche. I was looking for a 6-round 357 snub that could be carried and was not terribly expensive.

Back