Winder Musket - High Wall or Low Wall?

Low.
I'm not an expert on them.My understanding is they were a special musket for the Boy Scouts of America. 22 Short,I think.
Some might say rather rare,collectible,desirable.

More pics. I believe this is a similar non-ordinance Winder similar to this one described by BertH on another forum.... although the serial number is less than 138,000.

"Thanks BertH -
You apparently have one of the few (relatively speaking) non-ordnance marked Model 87 Winder Muskets. Based on my research (for the new reference book that I am currently writing about the Model 1885 & Model 87), Winchester manufactured 12,735 Model 87 Winder Muskets. Of that total, 11,289 were delivered to the U.S. Army (Springfield Armory) between January of 1918 to late 1919. All that were delivered to the Springfield Armory were chambered for the .22 Short cartridge, and were inspected and stamped with a "U S" and a flaming ordnance bomb on the upper part of the frame right behind the hammer. Of the remaining 1,446 or so Model 87 Winder Muskets not sold to the U.S. Army, most (approximately 90%) were also chambered for the .22 Short, but there were some also marked 22 LONG R. and .22 LONG.

Your Winder is most likely in the very low 119,000 - 120,000 serial number range, or in the 138,000+ serial number range.

In order for me to appraise it properly, I will need to see a series of clear photos of it. Oddly enough, the "U S" ordnance marked Winder Muskets are worth more than the non-marked counterparts. That said, the vast majority of Model 87 Winder Muskets are worth $500 - $1200. It takes an exceptionally fine condition specimen to top $1500.​
"

Attachments

• winder_low_wall_small.jpg
    winder_low_wall_small.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 14
  • winder_ser_small.jpg
    winder_ser_small.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 11
  • winder_win_stamp_small.jpg
    winder_win_stamp_small.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 10
One more pic showing a barrel stamp near the receiver.

Any discussion identifying this firearm is much appreciated.

Attachments

• winder_barrrelend_mark_small.jpg
    winder_barrrelend_mark_small.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 14
This is a high wall.

VMOfh3B.jpg

You have a neat old low wall. Be good to it.

Back