Winchester

b-dog

Inactive
Been looking at new rifles for a
While now. I have a mid 70's Remington 270 that I love but have been wanting something else to play with. Was looking at a Winchester super grade and it seems to be a
Nice looking rifle. What kinda of shooter is it? Are they very accurate?

The new FN made Winchester 70's are great rifles. No doubt better than most of the pre 64's. I have an Extreme Weather in 308 that is hands down the best rifle I've ever owned, and I've owned a bunch.

The Super Grades are more rifle than I like. Too pretty and expensive for me to use the way I hunt. Too heavy too. I'd not mind one in a magnum chambering where the extra heft is desirable. But in standard calibers I really like either the EW or the Featherweight. The Featherweight is about the same weight as your 700. But that is personal preference, the Super Grades are nice if that is what you want.

Playing with can be having it on rack over the fireplace and taking down and fondling at night, target shooting or?????

Define that better.

It also affects caliber choice.

My play gun idea is a 7.5 Swiss in modern barrel and action.

I suspect that is not yours.

The Remington 700 is a pretty good rifle and oftentimes quite accurate in spite of the fact that they have had some seriously grave problems with triggers and safeties. The Winchester model 70 is a better rifle even if you have to tinker with bedding the stock to get the best accuracy out of it.

If you're looking at the Super Grade Winchester, I would also look at the Kimber Classic Select Grade also. It's a slimmer, lighter rifle than the Winchester and typically the wood is just as nice.

I have a Super Grade I bought new in Nov of 2014(FN rifle). It is chambered in 338 Win Mag. I LOVE that rifle! It is my first model 70 and I have zero regrets about buying it. It is a hefty SOB, but the finish is beautiful and it shoots very well. Being a traditional magnum it has a 26" barrel, so along with the heft I notice the extra length handling it in the field compared to my Rem 700 ADL with a 22" and Winchester m94 with 20".

Bottom line, I would recommend a Super Grade unless you really require a lightweight rifle. I think you would find it to be money well spent.

I finally bought my first FN model 70 this summer in 264 Win Mag. It is a very nice rifle and shoots as good as anything I've purchased off the shelf. I'll be looking to add one in 270 after the first of the year to go along with the 264 and my stainless model 70 Classic 300 Win Mag...

Nunya

I have several Model 70s pre-post 64 and FN. I like them all.

The Winchester model 70 is a better rifle even if you have to tinker with bedding the stock to get the best accuracy out of it.

That's not the case with the FN Model 70s, they are free floated.

I have a post 64 Featerweight in 257 and a FN in 270. With the post 64 after about 7-10 rounds I have to let it cool down as it starts walking. Not so with the FN. Heat from several rounds doesn't effect its accuracy.

I do have a couple (three) target Model 70s. Of course they are bedded.

Normally I would say the FNs are the smoothest actions of any Model 70 but I do have a pre-64 in '06, made in 1949 that when it comes with smoothness. rivals the 98 Krag (USGI 30-40), which without a doubt is the smoothest action I ever ran across.

That '06 has never been bedded yet it doesn't walk when it gets hot either.

Regardless, you wont go wrong with any Model 70 be it pre-post or FN.

I cant speak for the USRA Model 70s, Like I said I probably have close to a Dozen Winchesters but for some reason I neglected to get a USRAs version.

Back