Winchester XRP 6.5 CM and Savage Axis .308, just got these for my Children, what do you think?

Joe.G

Hi, I picked up a Winchester XRP 6.5 CM Black syn stock and it came with a Vortex scope, I really like the feel of this gun and the trigger is pretty good right out of the box, Bolt is smooth as well. I did take it outside on a humid day and the scope did fog but I am not sure if it was on the inside or outside, it looked like it was on the inside but I did not check it in time to be sure.

The Savage Axis .308 in camo, this rifle came with a Weaver scope that is pretty clear for the price point but I have heard some don't hold zero. I hate the trigger but I do have a Savage AXIS Pro Trigger Kit coming. The bolt also is not as smooth as the XPR.

These Guns will be used for white tail and coyotes mostly. the 6.5 CM I have Hornady 129 GR Whitetail ammo and the .308 I have Federal TSX 165 GR rounds.
I have not fired either yet but just wondering what you guys think of these. I Don't care for the Rugers or the Mossbergs in this price range.

From what little I've been around the XPR rifles, I think they're decent and accurate enough for what you're tasking them to do. I'd eventually replace both optics, but I'd probably give the Weaver more of a chance than the Vortex. I don't mind both brands once you get into the upper end optics.

The Savage will likely be very accurate, however I dislike very much the Axis rifle. I would never choose one over the Ruger American (RA) rifle. Most RA rifles I've been around have shot lights out. The only downside to the older RA rifles was the rotary magazine issues. I lobe my little RA Ranch in .300 BLK.

Why do you dislike the AXIS? Most of the videos showing the AXIS being very accurate. I do think teh Winchester is More refined, My buddy has the RA in 6.5 but I am not a fan.

Savage cut every corner they could to make the Axis, and they just don't appeal to me. It fills a niche in the cheap rifle market, and some people love them and they seem accurate enough. I'd just rather spend my money on a 10/110 if I'm building or buying Savage rifles.

Savage just cut too many corners on the Axis to suit me, but I bet it will shoot. The Savage 10 or 110 series isn't that much more expensive and if I were buying a Savage is my pick.

I've never shot an XPR, but from the ones I've handled I like what I see.

Don't have any personal experience with the guns you got, so I won't speak to them, but in my family, children learning to hunt NEVER got NEW guns. We got some used but serviceable rifle or shotgun and learned on that. One that wouldn't have its value or usefulness harmed by being dinged a bit more...which is something kids are going to do, ...;)

As to the scope fogging, I'd say, with a modern scope, brand new, if it fogs (internally) you need to contact the maker. Moisture on the outside of the lens is your problem. Inside the scope, it should go back to the maker (warranty??) Modern nitrogen filled scopes should not fog or have any condensation inside them, under ALL conditions.

Good Luck!

That is what I have heard about the 129 GR Whitetail that is why I choose them as I was limited in my selection any way.

Put the Trigger kit in the Axis and it is a huge improvement, I used the 3.5 Lbs spring. Still have not shot them yet.

My son has a Axis in 308 no problem with accuracy but the trigger sucks, and bolt isnt great, stock is very cheap compared to other rifles in the price point, I have a Ruger Gowild in 7mm-08 and i absolutely love it, i actually use it more than my Xbolt Hunter in 270 WSM. As far as the XPR i have no experience with it.

Back