Winchester USA 223 45gr pressure

coyota1

I have found that the value pack of 45 gr hp rounds group very well in my 788. Does anyone know what the cpu pressure is with this ammo? I don't want to over do it with this fine relic. I have read about bolt thrust, and stuck bolt (breaking off) due to shooting high pressure rounds in 788's.

I doubt anybody has a number for that specific brand and load.
But you may be sure it is at or below the SAAMI maximum for the .223 Rem that your 788 is made for and does not amount to a "high pressure round" any more than the next brand you see at the store. I would not mind shooting it in mine.

Most of the Internet Debunking Article about how the 788 is not as good as its owners think is directed at the standard casehead diameter rounds like .243 and .308. It ought to shoot .222 and even .223 roughly forever.

+1 on what Jim said.
I would bet my favorite rifle that the majority of the high pressure damage was caused by hand loaders pushing the limits and blaming the rifle design for their mistakes. There is a reason that firearm manufacturers void the warranty if you use hand loaded ammo.

Well, I went to the bench again today and shot the USA 45 gr hp's, and there were no signs of excessive pressure. Primers were dimpled well, and the bolt opened easily. Touched holes at a hundred yrds a few times also. Interesting how they got 45 grainers to be so accurate with 1 in 12 twist.

You have the twist confused, the slower the twist the lighter/smaller the bullets. Fast twist is needed for the heavier bullets. 788's are excellent Remingtons, I'd take one over a 700 of today.

That's the rule of thumb that lighter bullets need, or can be BEST stabilized, by 1 12 twist. In my experience, 55 gr is optimum with this twist, but the 45 gr hp's from winchester USA match MOA with the heaver pills. I've hand loaded lighter hornet bullets, but I haven't yet be able to get that tight groups. 52,53,55's were easier to work with with the powders I used so far.

Back