Winchester stainless marine

Soclosenotnear

I recently saw one of these for the first time, it's for sale at my shop. This is not the 1300 model. It is only labeled as a stainless marine. I understand it is an all stainless gun, with a chrome plating on top of that, for the truly perfect boat gun. But wow, these things are pricey. The ring that holds the tube on broke at some point in its life, but was professionally fixed, but not refinished. Otherwise very clean gun with perfect stocks. Can anyone comment on such a guns value? Gun broker shows like new specimens (very few that are this exact model and not the 1300, which I understand is not stainless) completing for $1200+.

Its not a model I keep track of ....I see the 1300's at the gun shows all the time for $ 450 - $600 probably.../ but I have not seen one of the older versions for a long time.

Value... I don't know ...I just don't see many..../ but I'm not surprised the seller is asking $ 1,200.../ is it worth it, not to me ...but you'll have to figure out what its worth to you..

It's supposedly the "next generation" of M1300. Currently called an SXP. Multiple models with hard chrome plating on the barrel, chamber and bore with an alloy receiver and a synthetic stock. No all SS SXP's at all, according to Winchester.
The 'Ultimate Marine Defender' model has a HC plated SS barrel only. MSRP is $599.99. Less for some models.
$1200 is nutso. Gander Mountain wants $499 for one. They're running a bit over $500, up here.
"...not seen one of the older versions for..." Discontinued in 2006.

Looks in great shape. If you do get it, I wouldn't just leave it on your boat or in a similar scenario, for while the gun may be chromed stainless, the springs and similar parts aren't

You don't need a chrome or stainless shotgun - to survive in a salt water environment...( what you need is a maintenance routine )....or even stainless and chrome will pit and rust....

But the gun looks to be in decent shape...

I seriously doubt if the receiver is SS. That is a version of the 1300, not a completely different gun and they were made with aluminum alloy receivers. It would be pretty expensive to make a handful from SS and wouldn't make any sense because aluminum is just as resistant to water. It would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to tool up to make a completely different gun and you'd have to sell quite a few just to break even. The barrrel may well be SS. I can't tell about the mag tube.

I wouldn't pay a premium for it. A carbon steel gun with a parkerized or other modern finish would hold up just as well.

Yep, as jmr said ^, it's the same gun as a 1300, except for stainless barrel. It has an alloy receiver, with plating to make both receiver and barrel look the same. I used to see them from time-to-time, but not many lately. Winchester also made a variant called the Coastal Marine, same except with a blued (black) receiver. I used to have one of those.

Last edited:
"...It's not a 1300 or an sxp..." That's odd. Winchester, who makes the thing, says a Stainless Marine is a SXP. And that a SXP is an updated M1300. Plus there's only one model with an SS barrel. No SS receivers. Only plated SS barrels.

The receiver is plated aluminum.

Under all that shiny plating is a basic 1300. $700+ is a lot of money, IMHO, especially for something that has a visible repair on it.

Back