Winchester rifle value?

kat777

Inactive
I was wondering if any one knew the value of a winchester rifle? MODEL#70-30-06 SPRINGFIELD. SERIAL#920760. I did look up serial number and it said it was manufactured in 1923. The gun was owned by my grandfather and my dad has passed away. My mother and I do not know whether to sell it or give it to my cousin who is begging us to just give it to him. The gun is in excellent condition.
THANKYOU!

For the record, your rifle was not manufactured in 1923. How do I know this? Because the Model 70 was not introduced until 1935. From the records numbers at www.proofhouse.com , your Winchester Model 70 was manufactured in 1968. This makes it a post-64 (made after the redesign in 1963) rifle, less desirable than a pre-64. A post-1964 Model 70 rifle in 30-06 is a fairly common rifle, but still desirable. A fair value for such a rifle would be around $600 with a scope.

My sources say 1968 as well. From 1964-1979 were not desireable years for Winchesters. Gun values vary by region and around here $300-$350 would be doing good.

The brand new Winchesters are far better than anything ever made including the pre-64's and can be had for $700-$800. I can't see buying one of the ones made during the worst years in Winchester history at any price when there are so many better quality Winchesters out there

Yours is a very common push feed Win 70.

I just looked at the completed Win M70 30-06 auctions on Gunbroker. I am surprised, pre 64's selling at $700. Most (99%) of the Win M70s were unsold and most asking prices went from $500 to $700.00

I saw a push feed M70 barreled action which sold for $250.

Someone bought a Supergrade for $1200.00. Another 30-06 Supergrade the bid price got up to $700 but the reserve was not met.

Just looked at a M70 Black shadow, twice listed and unsold at $499.00

The market is real tough right now.

The thing killing prices on older guns of any brand is the flood of new guns such as the Marlin XL-7, Savage Axis, Ruger American, etc. These guns are selling brand new for $275-$350 and are far more accurtate as a rule than these 40-50 year old rifles. The rare guns such as the Super Grades etc. still bring a premium, but a standard shooter grade rifle will sit on the used gun racks unsold while hunters snap up the newer cheaper guns.

This gun has little monetary value, but has a lot of family history and is likely a good gun. I'd keep it in the family and let the cousin have it if he wants a part of family history.

Back