Winchester Ranger 30-30

possumishojo

Inactive
I'm trying to locate year of manufacturing for my Winchester Ranger 30-30. The serial #56258xx is from the rifle. My reason for researching origin is to purchase and install the correct Williams gun sight. I purchased a Series 5D-94-36 for my rifle but it doesn't seem to fit. Can someone tell me how or where to get install information for the Williams? Does anyone have some help for me?

[My reason for researching origin is to purchase and install the correct Williams gun sight. I purchased a Series 5D-94-36 for my rifle but it doesn't seem to fit.]

Maybe we can help you here - what is exactly the fit problem ?

Let me expand a bit.

If your rifle is a top eject, the sight is correct, and should fit the two small holes in the left receiver wall at the upper rear, after removing any filler plug screw in the holes.

If your rifle is an Angle Eject, with the right top of the receiver (wall) slightly lower than the left - then you have purchased the incorrect sight, and need to exchange it for an 5D-94SE, which fits a Model 94AE angle-eject (side-eject).

The correct sight for an AE would mount atop the rear of the receiver top walls, straddling the bolt - and require a higher front sight than issue, in order to zero the rifle (it will shoot too high with the peep all the way down, with the issue height front sight).

to petah w

Pete

TY for your response. My Ranger is top eject. I've looked at the side plate and it is smooth, no screws or holes in the area you indicated. Any other suggestions?

Possum

to elrod

Elrod;

TY for your response. Is there a special web site that list all these serial numbers? Again TY for the 1991 date.

Possum

AE, or angle ejection, became standard on all new Winchester 94's as of 1982 - ergo your 1991 Ranger is a side -or angle - eject model, and should have scope mount holes atop both the front receiver ring, and on the top of each receiver side, bear the locking bolt at the rear.

Those rear scope mount screw holes are where the proper Williams peep - the 5D-94SE - should mount. On top.

You ordered/bought the wrong Williams Winchester 94 peep, for your Winchester 94.

There may or may not an on-line source for the serial# sequence, I don't know. I looked it up in the Blue Book of Gun Values, which contains not only values, but also (some) s/n sequences, proofmarks, and private-label manufacturers.

Welcome to the forum. (Pardon my manners in my first post)

Back