Winchester over and under 30-06

Alex Johnson

Does anyone have any information on an over & under 30-06 Winchester once made. I was looking at a local gunshop and came across one of these. It looks like they used the frame from a 101, i've never heard anything about this gun and was wondering about it. Thankyou for any information.

Alex, it sounds like one of the Win 101 double rifles that Butch Searcy (I think) was making. There is/was a cottage industry converting O/Us and SxSs to rifle caliber. I would write or call Winchester to see if it was a production gun. I don't *think* it was.

Giz

As I recall, there was a regular Winchester produced O/U rifle in 30-06 and 270 Win. It was in ther catalogs in the late 70's and early 80's. I recently checked in Gunamerica and the shotgun news and found a few for sale. I've always wanted one, and now can afford one. If I found a Winchester produced one, I'd buy it all things being equal, (price. condition).
Check Gunsamerica under double rifles for current prices. I think they were around $2500. new back then, and as I recall, they were in the same price range when I recently checked.

Alex, I believe the gun you're describing is the Winchester Double Express Rifle made only in 1984-1985. It was offered in .30-06, 7x65R, 9.3x74R, .257 Roberts or .270 Win. calibers. The Double Express Rifle had 23.5" barrels with iron sights, claw scope mounts, ejectors, fully engraved satin finish receiver with game engraving. The stock was walnut with special hand checkering. In excellent condition this O/U rifle could be worth about $2,150-$2,500. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical

Thanks for the response guys. I don't have the money for it, but it's a fine looking rifle. If any of you are intersted you can contact The East Grand Forks, MN Cabelas store.

A Note for those who've expressed interest in this double rifle on the 101 action: Winchester also produced an under and over rifle-shotgun combo at the same time as the U/O double rifle. I owned one of the 30/06 under 12 bores for several years thinking it a useful piece to carry in places where the number of wpns were restricted. Came standard with EAW claw mounts for a scope in a fairly nice fitted case. It didn't sell well and in it's last years was discounted considerably.

The Ought-Six barrel shot incredibly tight groups but, as with all doubles that I know of when chambered for rimless rounds, it was VERY unreliable in extraction. Extraction was so unreliable that I never carried it anywhere other than a few local deer hunts.

If you have a serious interest in an inexpensive Japanese build double rifle, at least look for one in the rimmed 9.3X74 which was made for Euro sales.

Back