Winchester NATO/white box vs Super-X 9mm?

wild cat mccane

Hey there,

Shaw has Winchester Super-X 124gr 9mm for kinda cheap with a free shipping code. I haven't heard of it though. I don't care for white box, but does anyone have experience with Super-X being "better?"

Is it the American Eagle of the Federal line or is it the Champion of the Federal line, in a comparable manufacturer?

Any reason not to jump?

Thanks!

Cannot say what they are doing today under that name, without getting some and finding out what it is.

Super X, Super Speed, WW, and Win are all names used for Winchester ammo at different times in many different calibers, rifle and pistol. Some were the "finest kind", and some were a bit "budget" depending on era and cartridge, but ALL were considered a cut above "white box" ammo, which was always regarded as plinking/practice fodder and a source of reloadable brass.

A lot of the USA white box is military over run that has crimped and sealed primers and wcc with year of manufacture head stamps. Super X should be commercial grade, Win headstamp and not have a crimped primer or year stamp and may not have sealant either depending on the product. Branding varies from day to day and one company to the next. Most of the time Super X is used for Winchester shotgun shells, Rimfire and hollow point handgun ammo with most of the ball ammo being sold under the USA white box label even down to the 380 and 32 ACP while the 380 and 32 silvertips will be labeled Super X as commercial high dollar defense ammo. Personally, I would think the crimped primer USA is probably loaded a bit hotter than the commercial style USA ammo which gets a reputation of being loaded weak.

Back