Winchester Model 97 question...

Danger Dave

I'm about to order a new cyl. choke barrel for my model 97 (takedown receiver style). My question is: How do I get the old barrel off & install the new one?

I just want to be sure I don't muck anything up trying to figure it out...

There were two different models of the Win 97. A fixed barrel model where the barrel was screwed into the receiver and a take down model.

On the take down model, empty the firearm (safely and not into the neighbor's car) first. Point in a safe direction. At the end of the magazine tube, you'll see a pin. Push it through and using it as a lever, rotate the tube so as to disengage it. It should lift up slightly and with it, you should be able to pivot the barrel/tube assembly off the receiver. Pull apart and you're finished.

If you're having trouble, repost and I'll try again.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Oh, if you want to change barrels all the time on a take-down model, you'll need to buy a new barrel, the barrel block (probably a better name but I don't recall the proper name), wedge, and screw (check GunParts for the proper name). I had one such set up with both a 20" and a 30", but it was stolen years ago. Win Model 97 ser# D412481 if anybody ever comes across it.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Thanks, guys!

Gun Parts Corp. has a checkered stock combo listed for less than $75 - I'll probably have to pick up one of those, too... Then the other '97 will feel neglected, so I guess I'll have to take it shooting...

Back