Winchester model 94

Bigboy44

Inactive
When my grandfather died, my uncle got his winchester model 94 in 32 special. It's a funny story how I ended up with it. Unfortunately my uncle is a drug addict. He was talking about pawning it for $100.00! I freaked and said I'll give you $200.00 right now! So that's how I got it. My wife calls me "The great negociator" since I could have got it for $100.00 and paid $200.00. I don't care, it's in my safe and will never leave my family.

So, I have never seen these 32 special bullets at a store. I read somewhere i could shoot 30-30 through it. True or false? What is your experience with the winchester model 94 32 special?

While it's physically possible to fire a .30-30 cartridge in a .32 Winchester Special rifle/chamber, it's not a good idea, mostly because the .30-30's .308" bullet is undersize for the .32 Special's .323" bore, and will be VERY inaccurate, literally spraying bullets all over the targeted area.

.32 Special cartridges are available at many big box stores like Dick's Sporting Goods & possibly Wally World - but definitely online from any number of ammo suppliers. (google)

I found that the best online ammo prices (generally) are from "CheaperThanDirt.com"

The .32 Special is a virtual ballistic twin to the .30-30, a cartridge that's probably taken more game than all others put together, and was originally created over 100 years ago for .30-30 shooters who desired a bit larger bore/boolit for the handloads of the day.

Does your uncle have anything else he wants to sell to feed his habit? I'm not "family" and would have no problem with "negotiating" a price. :)

As PetahW noted, there's little ballistic difference between the 30-30 and the 32 Special. I still see a good supply of factory 32 Special ammunition at gun shows and at some big firearm retail stores. No, the 32 Special isn't cheap when you do find it (not at Wal Mart either) but I think it's kind of cool to have a Model 94 carbine chambered in this unique, if hard to justify, cartridge.

Congratulations on your 32. Wonderful rifle and great cartridge. As the others have noted, ammunition while not exactly on EVERY dealers shelf, isn't too difficult to obtain. I would urge you strongly NOT to fire 30-30 in your gun. Get some rounds of the correct calibre and enjoy your fine rifle.

I have a friend with a pre 64 32 special. It's a great rifle for deer and pigs. There are a lot of rifles out there in this caliber still in use. Even though it is semi obsolete, there is plenty of ammo out there for it, and I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if I happen upon one. Balistically they have a slight edge over the 30 30.

You did the right thing. Two hundred bucks for grandpa's rifle, especially a vintage Model 94, is something you will never regret.

Jackatage6WhitmanNE.jpg

I somehow acquired a Winchester 94 in 32 Special because I felt my 22 LR was not adequate for coyotes humanely (as some did then) - loved it - it was very accurate - but, somehow in moving to the city, moving through two wars, and going to med school - then to Detroit county hospital for a year of internship and five years of surgical training - I lost it. Missed it enough I now have two Winchester 94 rifles in 30-30 and a Winchester 95 in 30-06 -

IMG_2491.jpg

AWINCHESTER95-1.jpg

Love those lever guns.

Hornaday makes the 32 special Leverevolution ammo for you information. The fact that they are willing to invest in this caliber to this extent says something about it.

Bigboy44 Sir, Those are some beautiful Winchesters! Wow!! I bet that 30-06 kicks like a mule?!?!?

NO - actually, while it is more than my 94s, it seems quite tolerable to me - I shoot it at least once per month on my weekly trips to the range and really prefer it to other rifles - including my M1A - though I have to admit recoil perception is an individual thing -

AWINCHESTER95-1.jpg

It is unbelievably accurate though. Here's a pic of my target when I zeroed sights for the "ghost ring" aperture sight - point of aim at 25 yards and 2" above that at 100 yards - this is not "bench-rest" shot from a rack but"fist rest" resting my fist on range table and shooting - note how close the pairs are - under 1" - solo shots were elbow rest.

W95100yds.jpg

My wife is the world's best - she gave it to me for our 25th anniversary some 8 years ago - all she got was this little ring and - she still thinks she got the best of the deal - women - gotta love'em.

P5290002.jpg

jumpin' in here.... love the 94's. mine's a 30-30. it was my grampaws. he took God knows how many whitetail with it in wv. it's an early '70's model, nothin' fancy. i've had it about 10 years.

Beautiful lever guns, but having a 15 1/2 length of pull myself the only thing that comes to mind is "ouch" on that 30-06:D

funny how some find the ammo not commonly available.

Here in Northern Minnesota it is available everywhere 30-30 is..

and about $1.00 a box more than 30-30.

I had a chance to pick up an early 60s 32 Win..I may see if it's still available..probably not :( I have 2 model 94s in 30 30..wouldn't trade/sell either one ;)

Back