Winchester Model 94 and Texas Rangers

DavidB2

Is it true that the Texas Rangers were either issued or commonly used the Winchester Model 94s as their duty rifle? Even up to recent years? Thanks for any insights on this issue.

I think at least in the early 1900's they were issued with model 1895's in .30-40krag. But I have seen an 1894 in .30-30, a Texas Ranger Commemorative rifle, on gunbroker once (which would imply they used them at one time at least).

I'm fairly certain that they used Model 94 Winchesters at least in the early part of the 20th Century. It was a very common rifle and I'm pretty sure that the Rangers used the latest and greatest. I know for a fact that Model 94 Winchesters were issued to the horse guards in Louisiana prisons as late as the mid 1980s. I saw lots of them being used when I worked the prisons during that time.

I know that the Ranger Museum in Waco has a whole wall of 1873 Winchesters. My wife seemed surprised at that display of lever action rifles. Turns out that her Dad had an 1873 in .38-40, the first rifle she ever shot. She commented that her Daddy's rifle was in better shape than the Rangers rifles.

Uberti had or has a Texas Ranger tribute model 1873 issued under license of the Waco Ranger Museum.

At the time of their official founding, the 1873 would have been state the art in repeating firearms.

At the time of their official founding, the 1873 would have been state the art in repeating firearms.
From Wikipedia:
The Texas Rangers were unofficially created by Stephen F. Austin in a call-to-arms written in 1823, and were formally constituted on October 17, 1835,
At the time of their official founding, a flintlock was pretty much state of the art.

As far as lever action rifles, it is common to see Winchester 94 commemoratives of any rifle (100 yrs Golden Boy brass plated Win 94, Little Big Horn Win 94, etc) even for years before the 94 or its predecessor the 1894 were in production. There areseveral pictures of Rangers on duty, and it seems they carried whatever as current at the time. In this photo from 1896, it seems like most are carrying 1886 lever action rifles.

Texas Rangers used the Model 1894 a lot over the years.
It was a favorite in the 1900's and through the 1950's due to the more powerful round then the older 1892 pistol caliber rifles.
A lot of Rangers carried the 1894 until the more powerful semi-auto rifles became available.

Famed Ranger Joaquin Jackson had a Model 1894 with a short barrel and a hard chrome finish he used as his everyday rifle until his retirement in the 1990's

He also has an extensive collection of Model 1894 rifles.

I have some 30-30 ammo that was given to me years ago by a relative who was a Ranger, It's Winchester brand loaded with a 150gr FMJ round nose bullet.

Rangers' choices were open, although funding played a part in selection. Various lever guns, when they were introduced. Given the nature of their work, the 94 was generally quite sufficient.

Handguns? No telling what. My uncle, back some fifty years ago, did some repair work on a Ranger's "crowd control" "pistols": Two cut-down 12-gauge guns, double barrelled about 8", with hammers and the stocks cut to pistol grips.

SVO, I have collected 30-30 ammo for decades now, but have never heard of Winchester 150 grain FMJ factory ammo. I have some Winchester 170 grain FMJ factory ammo in both round nose and flat nose. Remington loaded 160 grain round nose FMJ as well but I have never heard of 150 grain FMJ ammo. Do you still have some of this ammo? Can you take photos of the box? Thank you

As I understand it, Texas Rangers have never been issued firearms - they have always provided their own, at least until they came under the Texas Dept. of Public Safety. After that they could carry an issue DPS gun, or they can carry any gun they choose as long as they qualify with it.

That is why you'll see pictures of Rangers with so many different kinds of firearms.

At one point in time the Winchester Model 95 in .30-40 Krag was VERY popular with the Rangers.

The Model 94 may have found favor with some, but I suspect it wasn't nearly as popular.

Some years ago here I posted a old picture of a group of Arizona Rangers.

Of the 15 or so, 14 of them were carrying Winchester 95s, the last one was carrying a Krag.

Last edited:
OK, found the picture...

rangers.jpg

Rangers

Up until the 1970's Texas Rangers provided thier own duty weapons.

In the early 1900's the ARIZONA RANGERS in its short lived existance the ranger was to provided his own pistols, but was issued WINCHESTER 1895 in 30-40 Krag or a Krag military style bolt action cavalry carbine, the cost of which was deducted a little at a time in the first year of employment as a Ranger from his salery.

J.Budd

Back