Winchester model 88 pre '64 .284

I have just purchased a very nice model 88 in .284 that looks like new. I don't know if this gun has even ever been fired. The gun came with 3 full boxes of original winchester ammo. I have no idea what the true value of the gun is or what would be the best way of selling this gun. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

There was a recall on these guns a number of years ago for a firing pin safety issue.

I THINK it was for both the 88 and the 100, but I"m not 100% sure.

And, now that WRA is out of business, I'm not sure what the status of the recall is.

Guys I also bought a remington model 600 chambered in .35 that is also in very good condition, a remington model 591p 5mm. and a walther .22 heavy barrel gun that I am not sure what the model is. I am still trying to figure out how to get pics on here. I don't know much about rifles at all, a freind of mine had these guns and he got in a spot and needed some money so I bought the guns. I really do appreciate the help from you guys.

There was a recall on these guns a number of years ago for a firing pin safety issue.

I THINK it was for both the 88 and the 100, but I"m not 100% sure.

To my knowledge, the firing pin recall involved only the Model 100 rifle. I'm 99% sure...:)

The tricky thing about these pre 64 284s is that they only came out in 1963. Their rarity is pretty well known. This situation lends itself to dishonest people. Recently my friend who runs an FFL shop told me some guy had 2 nice 88s sent to him. I asked him what they were, he said a 358 and a pre 64 .284. What a pair I thought. Me being a skeptic in life, I ask him if they both have checkered stocks (post 64s have impressed oak leaf pattern checkering) he says, "ya they do" then I say "so whats the SN range", meaning "144XXX" or so of the .284. They generally fall into a range of less than 10k and it is estimated that less than 5k were made. He says to me "the SN is 184XXX" :eek: I immediately realize that's a post 64 SN because I owned myself a pre 64 284 model 88. I tell him that SN is way too high for a pre 64 and he told the buyer. The buyer apparently bought it from cabelas (known for their misidentification of firearms) and I'm not really sure how it resolved after that. Per proofhouse.com, the SN range for a 1963 (the only pre 64 284 year) is 139839 (start) to 148859 (SN of first 1964 gun). Oldguns.net has the same SN range (I just checked).

Now of course, those ranges could be a bit off, but if your gun is after 148XXX I bet you its not a pre 64. Unfortunately, I don't know of another way to tell a pre and a post 64 because I never had mine apart. I also never owned a post 64 although they're common, esp in 308. Here is a pic of mine, SN 147XXX. It had some gentle honest wear but was a nice gun. I sold it last year.

Win882841.jpg

It's a $3500+ gun in pristine condition, valued right up there with .358's.

For that kind of money, it better be NIB complete with wax paper and hang tag. IMO the gun is worth more in the $2500 range. I have always seen .358s for more money (all 358s are pre 64) than pre 64 284s and they tend to bring it too. 358s had a recall IIRC where you did NOT get the gun back. So not many were made, and many went back = rare today. Kind of like the model 1893 Winchester shotgun.

Guys I also bought a remington model 600 chambered in .35 that is also in very good condition, a remington model 591p 5mm. and a walther .22 heavy barrel gun that I am not sure what the model is. I am still trying to figure out how to get pics on here. I don't know much about rifles at all, a freind of mine had these guns and he got in a spot and needed some money so I bought the guns. I really do appreciate the help from you guys.

So I'm still trying to figure out whether YOU were the good friend for bailing him out or was HE the good friend for giving you a (good) deal on what sounds to be a great group of rifles?

Last edited:
I will check the serial numbers on the .284, it is the checkered stock without the oakleaf. Do any of you know anything about Winchester model 12 shotguns? The same guy has approx. 10 different model 12's. They are 12, 16 and 20 gauge, a couple are 3" magnums and one is dull brass color. My friend also has a like new Ithica 37 featherweight, and a nice Winchester 94 30-30. I am not sure when the 30-30 was made and I don't know how to tell but all of his guns are atleast 30 years old and look like new. If any of you would be able to tell me approx. values that would be great. He wants $300.00 for the Ithica, $450.00 for the 30-30 and prices vary on the model 12"s from $350.00-$1000.00.

Pre 64 94s are 2,586,000 or before.

Model 12s are nearlly all pre 64. They hit about 1 million before WWII and made just under 2 million before 1964. Some were made after 1964 but have a Y prefix. Winchesters with original ribs are sought after and so are 20 gauges. 16 gauges don't seem to sell. Look at the chokes, any that are improved cylinder aka imp cyl IE not MOD or FULL are worth a premium as well.

None, except maybe the heavy duck mags had recoil pads. All the rest had plastic butt plates but many are cut for pads which lowers the value. Also, none from the factory had an adjustable choke (poly choke) on the end of the barrel. Many ribs were added on except for pre war ribs, which are solid/full ribs vs the vent ribs of post WWII model 12s. In other words, added on ribs will be vent ribs, but some vent ribs are factory so be careful. There were also deluxe versions of the model 12

Do research on them, they can be a lil complicated.

Last edited:
Back