Winchester Model 70

Joey

Found a Winchester model 70 338 mag today with a weaver scope. Supposedly the rifle was made in 1968, or that is what the owner says. From what I can tell the rifle is in good shape, but have no idea what to look for in a used rifle.

Any suggestions on what to look for and if $450.00 is a good price for this rifle??

I'll let someone else handle the price angle; it sounds a little high.

For a checkout, make sure gun is empty, then:

Look for smooth bolt operation. Check for a too-light trigger pull that might indicate tampering. Make sure the safety works properly. Cock the bolt and with the safety on, pull the trigger as hard as you can, then take the safety off. If the gun fires (clicks), trigger reset is defective.

Be sure bolt can be removed and replaced as designed. Check locking lugs for any sign of abuse. If possible, check headspace.

With dummy rounds (or live rounds at a range or safe place to shoot), make sure feed from the magazine is easy and flawless.

You can't test accuracy without shooting the rifle, but either ask to test fire before buying or make sure, in writing, that you can return the rifle if it is inaccurate.

Check the scope for clarity. With rifle on a solid rest, remove the bolt and boresight the rifle with the scope. Make sure the scope can be adjusted enough to boresight.

Good luck.

Jim

I'd get the serial # then check in with Harley's forum, I'm sure he can tell you when it was manufactured. I used to have a Winchester dating book but my wife put it away somewhere and I can't find it. You might ask around but I don't think Winchester was doing their best in 1968.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

Lets see 1968 M70 SN should start around 925908 Numbers are preceeded by the letter G
in 1969. These weren't Winchesters greatest years according to what you read but quite a few of the 1965 problems had been addressed by this time. If everything is as Jim describes I would say that this is a fair deal when you consider what it would cost to put together a new rig like this.

[This message has been edited by HankL (edited January 30, 2000).]

Based on rather limited experience (maybe 4 or 5 Model 70s), the 1964 and later guns were just as accurate as the pre-'64s.

The gripes were at the machine-checkering, the lower quality final finish, and the change in what, the safety?

But my .264 and '06 post-64s shot just fine.

FWIW, Art

"As you get older, life becomes unending sticker-shock."

Back