Winchester Model 70 Warranty Replacement

Semisub

Inactive
Dear M70 aficionados,

I purchased a Model 70 Extreme Weather in 7mm-08 over a year ago and had been troubleshooting it ever since to group shots. Towards the end of this last February, I sent the gun back to Winchester at the Arnold Service Center where they were also not able to make it accurate, so they sent me a new rifle. The whole process from calling them to set up a return to having the new rifle arrive at my door was inside of 4 weeks, so I'm impressed with the level of service.

The rifle came in the standard Winchester box with styrofoam insert, bolt separate in upper right hand compartment, and gun lock. However, it did not come with any owner's manual/paperwork. The rifle overall looked really good and the serial number is more complicated than normal and looks laser-etched vs rolled/stamped from my last one. I don't know if they have guns slated as "refurbished" replacements, but the serial number just seemed odd.

Like I said, my overall impression of the rifle is good, but I'm no expert. The three position safety is much smoother than my last one. Upon closer inspection I saw some milling that looked excessive and just wanted to consult the experts here to see if there is cause for concern or if they're non issues.

I have attached a few photos and here are the items that gave me pause:
- The rear part of the receiver shroud seems to be very slim and sharp as if too much material was removed.
- The lug way on the extraction port side looks to have way more than the needed clearance.
- The extraction port has a step-off where the extractor claw rides on top of the receiver. I didn't include a picture of this as I understand it is very common and probably not a defect.

I hope to gain some perspective and be educated by those more knowledgable than myself. Hopefully my terminology was correct in my descriptions, but I'm more than happy to try to elaborate if I'm causing confusion. Please let me know of any other things I should check for in making the sure the rifle is sound in its manufacture.

IMG_3315.jpg

IMG_3323.jpg

IMG_3332.jpg

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Stephen

Last edited:
The step down on the right rear of the receiver in pic #2 is different than my 2008 made 308. But mine is 12 years old and made in SC. I don't see that as a defect on your rifle, probably just a minor tweak to manufacturing. Everything else in the photos, as well as I see them is the same as on my rifle,

Back