Winchester Model 70 vs. Tikka T3

Winchester Model 70 or Tikka T3?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

John8789

Inactive
Hello everyone,

After asking around and doing a lot of research, I can't decide whether to get the Winchester Model 70 or a Tikka T3. So, I'm posting a poll here to see what the community thinks. To be more specific, I'm looking at getting a 30-06.

I appreciate the input, and welcome any other suggestions.

Sincere regards,
John8789

What are you going to use it for? How much experience shooting do you have? What are you looking for as far as cost goes? These are two different animals, the Tikka being much lighter so you will feel the recoil more, and the Model 70 being an older design and not as slick as the Tikka.

Both are good rifles but about as opposite as you can get. The model 70 is as old school and traditional as it gets. The Tikka is a very modern rifle with very different features.

I've owned both and while the Tikka is very lightweight and tends to be very accurate out of the box the CRF action and traditional features of the Winchester are more important to me.

The Tikka is made in the Sako plant in Finland, The Winchester model 70 is made in the USA.
The Tikka is lighter, but features too many plastic parts for my taste and I just don't like the recoil lug not being a permanent fixture to reciever.
The Win 70 has a flat bottom reciever with integral recoil lug, it never moves, both can be push feed actions and the Win 70 can also have a controlled round feed action.
My taste will always lean towards the Winchester model 70, I own two and they are fine shooting rifles and easy to care for...

As far as a new bolt action rifle goes, the are three to choose from, all on the Winchester model 70 Classic, CRF action.
  1. Featherweight: Nice to carry a lot and shoot a little; it will recoil more than heavier versions.
  2. Sporter: With a bit more weight and slightly longer barrel, this one is better if you like to shoot it a lot and don't mind the weight.
  3. Alaskan: Equiped with iron sights and designed for large and dangerous game, it is only available in Magnum calibers with the sole exception of the 30-'06.
    I have the Classic Sporter in 270 Winchester. It's the best rifle I have ever owned or shot. If I had deeper pockets and was thinking to buy another, I would be torn between the featherweight in 270, or the Alaskan in 30-'06. Just as a spare, mind you, not as a replacement; I will keep the one I've got, thank you.

Mine is made in USA. It still looks fairly new in spite of the fact that I shoot it somewhat often. I have no qualms about buying an older but good rifle. And I want walnut stocks. No plastic for me.

Gunsmiths answer:

M-70 without any doubt at all.

Not even a contest.

This is a race between a stock VW Bug and a Shelby Cobra or Ferrari

My 1950 Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 is a classic. Even though it's 66 yrs old, it still shoots as good as the day it was made. No plastic, just honest walnut and steel. It's as old school as it gets with a 1950 4x Leupold scope but it still gets the job done.

DSCN2955.jpg

My opinion isn't worth much as I don't own a Tikka, but I really like my Winchesters. Don't have any issues with the design and they funtion in every way I need in the field. That being said, so does my cheapo Savage, and so will the Tikka, and a Remington, and a Ruger, and a Weatherby, etc. Nobody can really answer an x rifle vs y rifle question completely because a lot of it is preference; intergral recoil lugs, CRF vs push feed, weight, barrel length, your personal budget, how much you care about refinement, and how much you're willing to pay for that refinement.
Find a rifle that has good real world reports, has design features that you like, and go shooting.
What's better, the M70 or T3? Only you can answer that, really. All we can is do report differences in design and our own experiences.

Why would anyone buy a piece of drilled pipe with a washered recoil lug, short barrel, and bikini ejection port, also one size fits all bolt, which is not solid., when they could have a piece machined from solid billits, receiver and bolt, with integrated recoil lug, and CRF.

Like Wyosmith said, No comparison,IMO, I don't want to just bash, but, while Tikka has a reputation for accuracy, I don't know of a rifle on the market today that has a reputation for poor accuracy.

A Tikka does have a better finish than an Axis, or Ruger American, it should cost $50 more than any other entry level rifle.

Never owned a Tikka but have owned several Winchesters. Every one I've owned has been a shooter and never a problem with them. I've been so pleased with Winchester that I wouldn't even consider a Tikka.

Why would anyone buy a piece of drilled pipe with a washered recoil lug, short barrel, and bikini ejection port, also one size fits all bolt, which is not solid., when they could have a piece machined from solid billits, receiver and bolt, with integrated recoil lug, and CRF.

To save $200-$300, about 1 lb of weight and most likely get a more accurate rifle.

My preference is the Winchester, but not without some modifications which makes the cost difference even greater. I've owned Tikka's in the past and I have no complaints. Despite the negatives they simply shoot well. Remington and Savage put Winchester out of business by selling better rifles for less money using most of the same manufacturing techniques listed in the quote. The company has revived under different ownership after going under twice as well as going through off and on periods of building inferior rifles. I think the current production Winchesters are the best ever made including the pre-64's. But their reputation have been damaged.

It's not that the Winchester design is inferior, I think it is better. The problem is that it is more complex, difficult and expensive to manufacture. This has led companies to be able to produce rifles that functioned and shot as well or better for a lot less money, and higher profits. Regardless of how well made something is a company can't continue making it at no profit.

Between a 70 and a Tikka, the 70 with the CRF. Now if you were comparing apples to apples and looking at the 70 vs. a Sako 85, I'd take the Sako every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I've hunted with an old "push feed" Winchester model 70 since the late 80's. It's still a tack driver and has put many deer in the freezer. Last year I bought one of the NEW model 70 Feather weights in .30/06 produced by FN / Browning (I finally needed to shed some weight). WOW, I love that new rifle. Joy to carry, gorgeous wood, great bedding job right out of the box, and a fantastic trigger. The best part is, under an inch groups at 100 yards with my pet load built around a 180 grain Nosler Partition. I voted Winchester.

Commercial hunting rifles are all pretty much the same. Cabela's has Win M70 Featherweights (6.75 to 7 lbs. with a 22" barrel. Walnut stock. integral mag.) on sale, right now, at $829.99. They're only showing T3 SS Lite's(6.2 to 6.375 lbs. with a 22.4" barrel. Black synthetic stock. Detachable magazine.) starting at $649.99.
Not really convinced walnut is worth $180 more, but it sure is pretty.

Browse the used rifle section in your local gunshop and check the prices on the used Winchesters, if they even have any. That will answer your question. ;)

Back