Winchester model 70 ultimate shadow hunter

Mattj4867

Hi all! Im new to the forum. I was looking for a new rifle and decided to go with the "Rifleman's Rifle." is $600 a good deal for the shadow hunter. What are the differences between the shadow hunter and the m70 sporter (besides the stock).

Welcome to the forum.
I think the one you are looking at may be a push-feed version. I would go with the Classic Sporter, or Classic Featherweight, or the Alaskan, and a Walnut stock would be mandatory. I would also choose 270 Winchester, unless I went with the Alaskan, and then I would select 30-'06.

Last edited:
Welcome to the TFL!

If it's a recent production model rifle the only real difference between the two is the stock. You'll have an injection molded stock vs. a walnut stock. If they're the same price I think the walnut stock is the better choice, it'll have a much stiffer forearm and that's important when using a sling or bi-pod. The new production Winchesters are some of the best there are IMO, and you'll be well served by the rifle.

I'm pretty sure that all the Ultimate Shadow rifles were Controlled Round Feed (CRF) they are showed as discontinued on Winchester's web page. The older Super Shadow models were the push feed models and the Classics were the rifles that were CRF rifles made during the same era before Winchester moved to South Carolina. After the move to South Carolina all the M70 rifles were made with CRF as far as I know.

Winchester has used various forms of the "Shadow" rifles for years and exactly which model can be confusing. They have had Black Shadow, Super Shadow, Ultimate Shadow and possibly others.

None are currently in production. Some were older push feed designs, but I think the Ultimate Shadow is one of the newer controlled round feed rifles. The stock will be a cheap synthetic and the metal may not be the same level of finish. I think they are matte blue vs polished, but I'm not certain about the metal finish. Other than that they are all the same mechanically. $600 it is probably a fair price. Not a steal, but fair, I see the Featherweight priced under $800.

The synthetic stock will shoot at least as accurately as wood and most likely much better. I haven't used a wood stock on a bolt gun since 1983. I got tired of dealing with all of the issues of wood expanding and contracting as the weather changed and bullets changing point of impact.

jimro said:
I got tired of dealing with all of the issues of wood expanding and contracting as the weather changed and bullets changing point of impact.

I can see that considering you live in GA, it isn't much of an issue here in Colorado. I like synthetic stocks as well, but I'll take a walnut stock over the injection molded plastic one given the choice for the same money.

For the record, ALL current production model 70 rifles are CRF, that goes back to 2006 when FN resumed production of the model 70. Pre-2006 New Haven rifles may or may not be CRF. IN the later years of New Haven rifles, the prefix "Classic" added to the model, IE Sporter, Featherweight, Supergrade, etc indicates a CRF action.

I had never heard of a Shadow Hunter, so I checked the Blue Book, for a look see. Lo and behold, they show a Ultimate Shadow Hunter in both blued and stainless versions, manufactured from 2013-2015. These are CRF, the blued model would have a satin finish, and the stainless model a matte finish. The last MSRP on these was $870 for the blued, and $1100 for the stainless model. A little more for magnum chamberings.

Last edited:
From 1992 to 2006 Winchester produced push feed and CRF models at the same time. The CRF model was called the Classic and was offered in Safari, Super Grade, Sported, and Feather Weight also one designated the Elite Shadow. The push feed models were a blind magazine rifle in a Black Shadow designation and the floor plate model was called the Super Shadow.

"...differences between..." The Shadow Hunter, Ultimate or not, is no longer in production, but mechanically they're the same thing. Couple chamberings were very slightly lighter, literally just a few ounces, in weight and slightly different barrel lengths(22", 24" and 26".). MSRP was $869.99 or $919.00.
The current 'Sporter' weighs 7 lbs. 4 oz. in all chamberings and there's no 22" barrel. Doesn't come in under .27 calibre either. No .223 or .243. MSRP is $939.99 or $979.99.
$600 isn't a fabulous price, but it's not ugly either. If you get to where you don't like it the way it is, there are all kinds of aftermarket bits and pieces for M70's. And you'll never have a problem selling one if you want to go that way. Whether it pushes or controls really makes no difference.

$600 isn't a bad price for a new old stock M70 Ultimate Shadow, it would be a better deal to me if it was a Stainless rifle. I'd probably drop it in a High Tech, Wildcat Composite or a McMillan stock at some point if I were buying it. I wouldn't give more than $400 for an older push feed Shadow rifle and do the same with the stock.

Hi all. Thought I’d post an update. I bought the ultimate shadow for $620. They had some that were cheaper but I really wanted the 7mm-08 over the 25-06. Fit and finish is superb. The bolt is smoother than my Ruger Hawkeye. It is also much lighter in weight than the Ruger as expected (wood vs synthetic and standard vs short action). My next decision is to get a scope. Bottom line is that I would recommend this to anyone. Thank you all for helping me make an educated decision.

The push feed models were a blind magazine rifle in a Black Shadow designation and the floor plate model was called the Super Shadow.

That's not correct. I have a ca. 01' 'Black Shadow' in 7mm Rem Mag, ordered directly from the Winchester distributor, that has the hinged floor plate. What was confusing at that time was that Wal-Mart had a synthetic-stock, blind-magazine model that people thought were 'Black Shadow' because that's what it looked like in the catalog. They were of HORRIBLE fit and finish whereas, at least my 'Black Shadow', was a pretty nicely done budget gun. The stock had no molding lines and the finish, although matte, was nice and even. Gun never did shoot all that great, though 1.5-1.75" at 100 yards with any factory ammo. I have a handload that does a little better.

I'm not sure what the 'Super Shadow' was but I think I remember it being an even cheaper looking version with rubber insets on the stock that was sold near the end of the USRAC.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FiveInADime said:
That's not correct.

I've been known to be wrong a time or two. Wal-Mart did have a push feed package rifle that had a stock very close to the shadow stock. Thanks for the update.

Welcome to the forum.
I think the one you are looking at may be a push-feed version. I would go with the Classic Sporter, or Classic Featherweight, or the Alaskan, and a Walnut stock would be mandatory. I would also choose 270 Winchester, unless I went with the Alaskan, and then I would select 30-'06.

Pathfinder, I like your thinking.

I own lots of good rifles from lots of good companies. Winchester might possibly be my favorite. In general I'm trending towards synthetic stocks, but there's something really special about a wood-stocked Model 70.

If you don't own one, you should.

Back