Winchester Model 70 Scope Question

DAR

Inactive
I have a model 70 feather weight .308. Can I use a scope with 50mm objective with leupold medium base?

Maybe, probably. I agree though on matching the scope to the rifle & intended uses. I usually put a 2-7 or even a 1.75-6 on lightweight handy rifles. This is especially true when hunting in cover with shots usually under 100 yards.

I'm with Oneoldsap on this one. Match the scope to the rifle.

As to the OP's question - probably not. You'll likely need tall or maybe even extra toll rings.

I agree with the rest on this one. If you have not bought the scope yet, check out the VXIII 2-8x36. That would be a nice compliment to that rifle...In my opinion. But to each his own. Its not my rifle either. if you want a big objective then go that route. Its not going to hurt anything it just doesn't exactly "fit". And with the contour of that barrel and scope you would use low rings, possibly even the super lows.

And with the contour of that barrel and scope you would use low rings, possibly even the super lows.

I don't know on that one. I have a Rem Model 7 (same barrel contour) that orignally wore low Leupold Std rings with a VXII 2-7x40. It barely fit. When I added flip-up scope caps, it wouldn't fit anymore. I had to switch to Medium. With a 50mm bell, I'm not sure even a medium would have been enough.

It will probably fit, but it depends on the specific scope in question. Some scopes are longer, which puts the bell out where the barrel has tapered down a bit.

My Model 70 in .270 Win has a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40. I zero'd it in 7 years ago and haven't touched it since... I mean the scope. This is my go to rifle...

Last edited:
tight fit at best

I am not sure if it'll make the fit or not but I know if you add flip up scope caps to your scope you will have a problem. Love those Model 70 featherweights!

I have a Leupold VLR with a 56mm front optic on medium Leupold mounts and rings on my Model 70and it fits pretty close to the barrel, but the VLR has a crescent cut out of the bottom to mount low to the barrel.

A standard 50 mm front optic will probably need high rings.

Back