Winchester Model 70 (pre 64)

mathman

Are the model 70s still made in the U.S.? I know that I've heard that the company has been bought out by a foreign company...is this true?

Also, how is the model 70 in the accuracy department? I don't hear much about them in terms of accuracy (it seems that Savage and Remington dominate the accuracy threads; while Winchester and Ruger dominate the toughness, reliability threads).

Last questions...are there any plastic parts on the Featherweight? MIM parts? Anything else that I've forgotten?

I am considering buying a Featherweight in either 308 or 30-06 for deer hunting (maybe the occasional elk).

As far as I know, the Model 70 rifles are all still produced here in the U.S.

I haven't found the Model 70 to be any more or less accurate than the Savage, Remington, or Ruger rifles. I mean on average. I've owned quite a few rifles from each of those four manufacturers and I've found accurate ones and not so accurated ones from each company.

I've found a few foreign brands that seem more accurate on average than any of the brands you mentioned.

For immediate replies, send money.

Winchester Model 70 is still made in the USA by US Repeating Arms. They and Browning are both owned by what amounts to FN Belgium. They do a lot of collaborating with Beretta but I don't know if there is any ownership.

For detailed replies, send more money.

A Winchester factory rifle will be of comparable accuracy with other makes. You can select on "features" and be OK.

I doubt a Featherweight has plastic working parts. It might well contain some MIM, unless they had other manufacturing methods already worked out to cost them less.

For all-milled rifles, send lots of money.

I really like my Model 70 Classic Stainless in .300 Win. It shoots every bit as well as the Rem. 700 in .243 that I shoot, at least as long as the barrel is cool. I am not sure, but I think they have gone to some MIM or something similar for some parts, but I haven't seen or heard of any problems with it. My barrel says New Haven, CT on the side of it. The barrels are hammer-forged, except for the stainless ones, and barrels .375 and above.
If you are going to be hunting with it, any slight loss in accuracy that you may get would imo (I don't hunt) easily be outweighed by the other features of this gun. As far as mine goes, it is light, the safety is lightyears better than the other types I have seen, and as it is a firing pin blocker, it is safer to carry with one in the chamber, and the trigger is easily adjustable, imo easier than the Rem. trigger (no sear engagement adjustment though, which to me was a plus).
As for the cons, the recoil pad was basically a chunk of truck tire (not the same on the featherweight, I think), I had to smooth out part of the follower becuase the bolt would hang up a little on it (not necessary, just didn't like it like that), and if I don't keep enough finger in the trigger guard, the knurled part of the bolt handle will take off some skin on my trigger finger. I think this is technique/finger length problem though.

The guys above are right. They are made in the US, and I have found late model M70's very accurate. The recoil pad on the FW is like the one on my Coyote, which is very nice. I am planning on getting a Featherweight shortly- they are very nice rifles.

Great rifle, excellent stock, trigger, mauser action with three position safety a real work of art. And don't forget the name and history...

I recently bought a model 70 featherweight in 300 win mag. I like the gun but it doesn't group very well. I'm going to add a recoil pad and maybe get it bedded and floated. Any other suggestions?

The Winny F/W in 300 Win isn't grouping well because you are more than likely anticipating the recoil....I've got one in '06 and it boots like a mad mule, so I would figure yours would boot like a wizzed off whale. ;)

Free float the barrel and see what happens. You will also need good glass. I put a cheap scope on mine and the recoil would move the cross hairs around. Then I bought a Leuplod and never looked back.

I bought a model 70 and the safety would not engage and I had to take it to the gunsmith locally to fix the problem. That was not an fn gun though it was one of the last ones made at the conn. plant. I have handled the fn guns and the quality is a lot better. The accuracy comparision is not really comparable because accuracy depends on so man variables. With factory ammunition match black hills both my guns will do sub moa with 5 shots.

Back