Winchester model 70 pre 64 value?

5RWill

Friend of mine picked up a model 70 pre 64 from someone for 650$, the guy who was selling it didn't know any better. Anyway it's in great condition, serial number is 94695 or something like that i had it saved but forgot it somehow. It has "30-06Govtspringfield" on it also IIRC. I couldn't get a picture because my phone was dying and wouldn't allow it. He's wanting to know the value not that he will sale it, just curious. He said he thinks it was made in 1942. Idk didn't spend much time on the rifle mostly was spending time reloading.

Last edited:
With a pre-64 Winchester 70, condition is everything. $650.00 may have been a screaming buy, or it might have been just okay. What's also important is how original the rifle is, and the caliber. There are lots of considerations when you're assessing value in a firearm. Has the rifle been re-barreled? Re-stocked? What grade was the original rifle?

The bigger question: Is your friend happy with the deal? If so, he did good. The Winchester Model 70 is an iconic bolt action rifle and many fellows would be happy with a good pre-64 at that price.

Buying pre-64 Winchesters is like walking through a minefield if you don't really know what you are doing. The vast majority are not really worth more than around $650. Certain models, made at certan times, or in rare chamberings could easliy be worth 10X that much.

That is probably a fair price for a shooter grade rifle in a common chambering. You often see folks trying to sell them for much more, and you will sometimes see a sucker pay more. That does not mean they are actually worth more.

If indeed the serial number range is in the 95,000 range then the year of manufacture would be 1948, and would be a type 3 action. The barrel marking for caliber should read 30 Gov't 06. If you could provide some close up photos I could tell originality and condition issues.

PawPaw said:
With a pre-64 Winchester 70, condition is everything. $650.00 may have been a screaming buy, or it might have been just okay. What's also important is how original the rifle is, and the caliber. There are lots of considerations when you're assessing value in a firearm. Has the rifle been re-barreled? Re-stocked? What grade was the original rifle?

Everything is original, stock is amazing amazing condition, finish is a little worn on the barrel but we both agreed we wouldn't touch it looks too good. The front post sight is missing. The scope isn't worth a crap, not that it matters. The safety was very different opposed to a modern model 70. The gun didn't look like it had been used very much, over all its in great condition IMO.

30-30remchester said:
If indeed the serial number range is in the 95,000 range then the year of manufacture would be 1948, and would be a type 3 action. The barrel marking for caliber should read 30 Gov't 06. If you could provide some close up photos I could tell originality and condition issues.

Yup that's indeed the barrel caliber marking "30 Gov't 06". Serial number was definitely 95 something. I'll see if i can get you some pictures today.

I had my pre '64 featherweight in .243 appraised at around $1200, but I haven't had any luck selling it either

If the safety looks different from current safeties, then you might have a very late transition model known as a type 2 action. Type 2 actions were built in 1947 and part of 1948. The last known serial number was @85,000 IIRC. Most value is derived from original unaltered guns, so if you want top dollar, dont alter this gun in anyway. No recoil pads, sights changed, rebluing or refinishing. An antique gun has considerably more value in fair original condition than refinshed. A close up photo of the action and safety will determine which action type you have.

oig689.jpg

o5qemd.jpg

scynub.jpg

2ajufl0.jpg

14ndyeg.jpg

kdpy50.jpg

Seems like a nice rifle...here is one in 300 H&H mag.

Attachments

• pre 64 m 70 017.jpg
    pre 64 m 70 017.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 273
  • pre 64 m 70 008.jpg
    pre 64 m 70 008.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 204
  • pre 64 m 70 009.jpg
    pre 64 m 70 009.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 195
Looks good. Finish looks right. Stock finish too. Too bad someone put a hole in the rear receiver bridge to mount that scope. I assume it has the original metal buttplate. That one little hole pretty much cuts the value in half IMO. Still, should be worth around $1000.00

This is indeed a pre-war model 70. As stated, someone has drilled the rear bridge to mount the scope base. The gun has its original type one safety, and fortunately the installer of the scope used tall rings which allowed for the scope to be mounted without altering the bolt handle, which was done quite often on pre-war guns. The owner should look around and find an original rear sight and at least have it on hand as these are getting harder to find as time goes by. The proper rear sight is a Winchester model 22G with a 32C elevator. All in all a great looking original rifle in very good condition with an extra hole drilled. While any alteration is a devaluing factor, this extra hole isnt all that bad. A good gunsmith in the future can make this hole go away. It is impossible to make a refinished stock or reblued gun or an added recoil pad "go away". If asked my advise on this gun, it would be, enjoy it as is with possibly a better scope. Have on hand the original rear sight and elevator. Do no further alterations of any kind. And in the future either sell it to a collector or have the rear screw hole repaired and let it live its life as an iron sighted gun. Thanks for sharing, it is always nice to see quality guns.

Thats all he'll do i imagine is put a Leupold on it and shoot it some. No problem thanks for the help. I would think it's pretty rare to see that early of a model 70, though i don't go to gun shows and so on where the collectors are and such.

I have a couple classic rifles i would like, one that's near impossible to find IIRC, the Lee-Speed Sporter. It's by far my favorite vintage rifle. That and a company is actually replicating the old long USMC 8x scopes used on the 1903 springfield. And again i would love to find an actual 1903 and build that rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUY28C4GhWU&list=PL6EF02C55B29549A2&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Like i said would love to have one of these.

BSA2flat.jpg

Last edited:
Back