Winchester Model 70 HBV vs Rem 700VS

• Thread starter Thread starter m3bullet
  • Start date Start date
M

m3bullet

Interested in any comments regarding the Winchester Model 70 HBV in .308Win, fluted and unfluted barrels, for a scoped varmint and target rifle. Was seriously considering the Remington 700VS in .308Win, however, it's not available in stainless which is my preference.

I have a model 70 hvb in 223 with the ss fluted barrel. I guess you know only the barrel is fluted, not the reciever. It is a nice shooting gun. The only complaint I have with it was when I went to put a jewel trigger in it the trigger guard had to be ground a bit for room. The remington it drops in with out any modifications. The stock is also a bit wider down the barrel, fits nice on a rest.

Thanks, Jeffly, for your comments.

Can anyone comment on the differences and pluses/minuses of the "controlled round" versus the "push" feed model 70s?

For a pure varmint/target rifle, I go with the Remington- I bet you can find one in stainless- and have it professionally tuned.

I am a big fan of the Winchester Classic series with "controlled round feeding" but a stainless short action classic is rare. Short or long action, the classics are good rifles, they just need a little love. No, they won't shoot .25 MOA out of the box- these are hunting rifles not target rifles but with work, (ie trigger tune, free float, possible recrown)most can average sub MOA depending on caliber. However, it is unlikely you'll get a classic action to shoot as accurately as a push feed action but we're really splitting hairs...

I feel there are more things to go wrong on the Remington action. Others use this action with no malfunctions whatsoever. You might be tired of Remington actions and need some variety in your cabinet.

Varmint/Target= Remington
Big Game/Other= Winchester

Thanks for your comments DeBee.

The Model 70 HBV has Winchester's push feed action, unlike most of the rest of the Model 70s with "controlled round" feed. Is push feed more desirable than continuous round?

Back