Winchester Model 70 base question

mike2523

Inactive
I am installing Leupold 2- pc mounts on this Winchester model 70.
Question is: Are the mounts set properly? Especially the one at front.

Attachments

• 8B0FF2AC-5A11-4807-824E-B1C4382298C8.jpeg
    8B0FF2AC-5A11-4807-824E-B1C4382298C8.jpeg
    959.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I don’t think I see an issue. I don’t remember them hanging over the top of the action opening, though. Only thing I can think of if you switch the front mount is that your scope will have to sit considerably further forward, and I don’t know how you have your eye relief set up.

Don’t see issue.

The front base is reversible to accomodate shorter scopes that are more common these days. Your front ring is close to the base of the front bell, you cannot move the scope farther to the rear. So as long as your eye relief is good, yes, your scope is properly mounted.

That's how mine are too. As scorch mentioned it's to accommodate scopes which have steadily been getting shorter and shorter

They are mounted correctly, but this is one of the many reasons I don't recommend that type of scope mount.

Thank you for the advise, really appreciated.

Any other ideas of “how to properly” mount the scope on this Model 70?

I agree with the above posters. If the eye relief is good for you, and the front base doesn't interfere with ejection of both a fired shell and an unfired round, then it's not a problem.

Any other ideas of “how to properly” mount the scope on this Model 70?
If you want to eliminate the overhang, you could go with Leupold's dual dovetail mounts for the Win 70 where both mounts are similar to the one at the rear in your set. That would also mean you would have to place the scope further forward. Again, the eye relief is really the key factor as to which mount set you use.

I second Polinese's comment. EGW makes great one-piece bases, IMHO.

I also like the monolithic style of one-piece bases, as things are more aligned in my head. Whether or not that is true is up in the air, for sure.

One piece base in Picatinny rail form, can put scope and rings wherever on the thing that makes it work for you.

But if the public opinion is that you are all set up and ready to go, so be it. You won't hear contrary words out of me.

Back