Winchester Model 70, A two decade delay

moneypit

Inactive
I've recently been on a "gun kick", and been purchasing guns, a safe and joined a local club that has several ranges including a 100 yard and up to 600 yard range.

Around 1990 I bought a Winchester Model 70 30-06, Springfield, Solid Walnut stock with checkering based on the recomendation of a friend that I was going to start deer hunting with that year. That same friend also happened to be an FFL and a member of the club I've now joined 20+ years later. We (He) sighted in the gun within ten shots at 100 yards.

My friend passed away shortly after. As he was my mentor and I a novice with no practical place to shoot, the rifle was stored without any further use beyond that initial ten shots and now 21-22 years later it has a new scope and ready to be used. My range qualification for the 100 yard range is this Saturday and I cannot wait. Once I'm qualified, I can finally use what is essentially my new but two decade old rifle.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I think he gave you a very good bit of advise on your choice of rifle. The Winchester M70 in .30-06 will always be an excellent choice and I bet you'll think of your friend each time that rifle brings a smile to your face.

Back