Winchester model 70 30-06 springfield

fastback4

Inactive
This rifle was offered to me plus cash towards a 1993 Yamaha Waverunner. It is a Winchester model 70 30-06 springfield single shot bolt action with a plastic stock perhaps? The owner believes it is worth $500.00, so i ask all of you is this accurate? He did bring ammo for a test fire and it shot 4 rounds 5" apart at 60 yards.

I just paid $400 for a stainless classic. This sounds like a Black Shadow model. No more than $350. With 5" groups at 60 yards I'd pass altogether.

single shot bolt action

That's not a normal Model 70, they are magazine fed bolt actions.

There are exceptions. I have a Single Shot Model 70 in 300 WM, but I built it that way, its my 1000 yard, any rifle any sight/any rifle iron sight match rifle.

Poke your fingers in the mag well and see if you can depress the follower, I bet it's a standard 5 shot magazine.

It it isn't someone did something, which could make it something special or something not so special.

As far if its work $500, hard to say without looking at it. I've paid more and I've paid less. Heck one time I bought 6 Model 70 actions for a total price of $235 for the lot. I've made some damn nice shooters (including the one listed above) out of those actions.

I'd hate to say how many Model 70s I have.

Personally (my opinion only) I think the Model 70 action is the finest bolt action out there.

Here is a fine shooting Single Shot Model 70 in 300 WM

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg

For sure check to see if it's actually a single shot. And that's a really lousy group size, unless the guy is a lousy shooter. A competent shooter with iron sights and decent ammo should get at least 2" groups at 100 yards, if sandbagged properly on a benchrest.

At this point, it sounds more like $300 (maybe) than $500...

winchester model 70

The shooter was standing, shooting iron sights as he removed the scope because he was not sure if the scope ( Simmons 3-9x40) was accurate or not and he only brought 6 rounds with him.
It does hold 5 rounds as you all suggested. The serial number starts with a G. After looking on other web sites i believe this may be a Black Shadow with a 24" barrel shooting 30-06 Sprigfield, a 3 way safety and a synthetic stock. There is also a soft zipper Allen brand case. There is also 5 boxes of Remington Core-lokt cartridges 20 ct. This rifle does not have a scratch on it and i boroscoped the barrel and it's shiny and clean. The owner claims his brother gave it to him on Christmas of maybe 2005 he thinks.

Last edited:
Those are good rifles, but not worth $500. With a good scope and shooter they should be accurate. The scope would not add a penney for me. The 5 boxes of ammo would be worth a bit over $100 if bought new. With the ammo, maybe. I'd still try to get him to come down a bit.

There are model 70s and then there are model 70s. I have an all original, complete 1950 Win model 70 30-06 with an original July 1950 Leupold 4x scope and original Leupold 1950 quick disconnect rings and mounts and it's worth considerably more than what's been listed here. On the order of 4 - 5 times more.

It seems to me something squirrely about the description. A winchester model 70 is one thing, a springfield single shot is another. I just bought a synthetic Winchester 70 7mm mag with an old redfield 3x9 on it for $375.

the combination of composite stock and single shot makes me think you got the lower side of the deal.......

I have a M70 in .30-06 --- but with a wood stock --- and no letter G in the serial number.

Back